VINE VOICEon 7 May 2011
Content synopsis, ideas and words used:

Enclosed advice card outlines how best to use, listing all 100 Key Words; in the order in which they should be introduced. Taken from this card:

" You can begin by selecting words important to your child, making your own cards if necessary. These could include your child's name, the name of their pet or 'mummy'. Explain what the words say and talk about the letters and sounds. Can your child recognise the words as you hold up the cards? Can he or she pick them out from a small group of other flash cards?"

" You can also use the cards to make short sentences together: I am big/little. It is old/new. We have one/two. You can see Peter and Jane doing this in book 4C ".

All lower case in their groups according to the first word in each pair...

a/ can, and/ came, he/ could, I/ come, in/ do, is/ did, it/ first, of/ down, that/ get, the/ from, to/ him, was/ have.

All/ not, are/ his, as/ one, at/ on, be/ so, but/ said, for/ we, had/ they, with/ has, you/ go.

About/ here, an/ her, back/ into, been/ if, before/ like, big/ just, by/ look, call/ little, made/ went, make/ well, me/ what, more/ were, much/ where, must/ when, my/ who, new/ which, no/ will, now/ your, off/ some, old/ she, only/ them, or/ their, other/ there, our/ then, out/ two, over/t his, right/ want, see/ up.

Card Height 10 cm Length 15.5 cm. Flexible thin card with laminated wipeable finish and rounded edges.

An example of letter size ' l ' height 32 mm, ' m ' height 23 mm width 30 mm. Letters vary within these sizes, I hope this gives you an idea. Thickness of letters 3 mm and jet black. Card backgrounds are brilliant white.

I purchased two packs to give greater scope for sentence building. The second pack also allows for games such as 'snap' and 'go fishing/memory to be played (blu tacking a piece of paper over the sides not needed). Also a group of cards can be laid out and one duplicate card at a time given to be matched. We use these with the Key Words box set of the first six ladybird books.

These Flash Cards are a superb asset and we shall definitely continue to purchase this reading scheme. It doesn't matter which reading scheme is used at school, we feel the Ladybird system is a sound foundation. Word reinforcement and sentence construction with clear understanding is quickly gained. We most highly recommend these cards and Ladybird.
on 8 January 2014
These are ideal for helping a child learn to read. I used these to teach my children to read at ages 2 and 3, as a second stage of the process. For the first stage I used thick red felt tip pen on A4 paper, and labelled everything at home. Once they could read a good number of words I reduced the size of the text while increasing the vocabulary. Then the flash cards came into their own, as a fun game where the kids had to shout out the word as fast as possible. They loved it. Now my grandson is learning to read.
on 8 March 2017
Plain high frequency word cards. Quality is very ok. There was no decoration on the cards, just the words in black on white cards.I was hoping for some lovely Peter and Jane themed pictures or decoration, but none at all. I already have similar cards through Twinkl etc. and freebie Dolch words from that I laminated from websites, so I felt a bit let down and like I wasted my money. Not Ladybird's fault and I will find a use for them. I was just hoping for something a little more exciting!
on 27 September 2014
I'm teaching a grandchild to read. He likes these. I like these. It's a way of checking that he hasn't simply memorised the Ladybird books we are working through. They feel nice, look nice and do the job.
on 20 July 2017
Great product. Thank you for the prompt delivery.
on 14 April 2017
Great learning tool
on 15 March 2011
These flashcards are fantastic. Our son is Y1 and is showing lots of signs of dyslexia. School uses Oxford Reading Tree which is doing nothing for him at all. I bought these because we learnt with Peter and Jane (35 years ago) and I am not disappointed. It is simple but he is recognising so many words that he just hasn't picked up before. The books in this Key Words series are also excellent. Very 70s, but sweet, and THEY WORK! Couldn't recommend this more highly.
on 1 January 2010
I would highly recommend these flash cards along with the Ladybird Keywords series of books (all 36 of them). Essential to make sure your child progresses at a good rate regardless of what they are doing at school, a good way for them to gain extra confidence for the classroom.
on 25 March 2013
Too many words required. Cant be bothered to review if i need to write a novel every time. Make this process easier
on 27 July 2017
My elder children had been taught reading through the ladybird keyword scheme "Peter and Jane" and they are fluent readers (one of them is has some learning difficulties). I taught my third with books 1a and 1b "Peter and Jane" and he did excellent, he has developed a love for reading and along with Starfall apps, he's now a very good reader too. As for the keyword flashcards I just use them to revise his reading.. So I'm happy with my purchase, I bought them for $2 only.