Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2009
Having loved Dantes Girl i couldnt wait for this and steam rolled through it in two days! I love the fact that the lead isn't like all the others, and seems more realistic in a lot of ways! the only reason i gave this 4 stars instead of 5 were the sections concerning Dante, which I felt slowed the story, and were a bit superfluous! other than that though, this book is highly recommended!
on 10 August 2008
I read Natasha's first book of the series, Dante's Girl, last year and loved it, I only had a problem with the ending, that it was such a cliff hanger I wanted to carry on reading, this book is just the same. The ending seems like it cuts off abruptly, leaving you frustrated that you've just read the last page. The only other problem I had was with the continuity, there are a couple of times where it seems like the editor has completely over looked the error, from swords being flung across the room only to get knocked back out of the persons hand seconds later to a glaringly obvious unawareness of events in the first book. Not to spoil the book but the Hunters pride themselves on the fact that their base has never been breached, when in Dante's Girl, a werewolf breaks in to get to Kayla.
Continuity aside, this book is brilliant; it's darker and more sophisticated than the first in the series, showing that Natasha's writing style has evolved in a short period of time. The story is gripping and faced paced, and will definitely leave you wanting to read the next instalment, which will hopefully be out soon!!
on 21 August 2014
Better than the first. Keep em coming please. Kayla Steele former shop assistant has been dragged into a world she had no idea existed untill her boyfriend Dante was killed. This is the second novel in the Kayla Steele series
on 18 September 2008
One thing is quite clear from the onset - Natasha Rhodes is here to stay. A "new" author in the paranormal / urban fantasy genre, she cut her teeth working on the movie novelisations and tie ins including Blade: Trinity, Nightmare on Elm Street: Perchance to Dream.

This has clearly stood her in good stead. The girl knows how to spin a good yarn and she clearly loves Los Angeles, there is even mention of the Viper Room!

In retrospect, I should have read Dante's Girl first, as initially not a lot of the story made sense to me as I started off. But then, gradually on my part (erm, meh?) the light dawned on a few things and I got into the swing of the story as matters were explained (by a very patient author) for nitwits like me. And I loved every jot of it. Some of the storyline and references are still obscure, but that will be remedied once I've read Dante, so to be honest, that is my only gripe.

Natasha has a definite writer's skill - she writes at a tremendous pace and does expect you to keep up. The brutality is real, the characters are strong and punchy and Kayla is quite real in her "innocence" (for a lack of a better word). We get pulled deeper into the world of the Hunters as their animosities, loyalties etc. get played out against a background of a Constantine-like Los Angeles. When the book came to an end I frantically paged right to the back thinking, waitaminute! where's the rest? Sadly, we have to wait a little more for the next instalment. This however, is no hardship because, like all good books, this one can do with a re-reading. And trust me, it will go onto the TBRA pile!

Especially once I've got Dante under the belt. Who, by the way, does sound...scrummy!

If you love Blade, Constantine, Van Helsing, Kim Harris, Kat Richardson and Mike Carey, you will like Natasha Rhodes.

She writes vividly and the storyline is just that different to keep your attention, as is Kayla as a main character. There is tremendous scope to grow the character and the general storyline and I really do look forward to seeing what else Natasha has up her sleeve.

She is definitely an author to watch out for!