Customer reviews

on 31 October 2017
Like his book on the Malta Convoys, the author clearly has issues with the Royal Navy and its achievements. That aside it is a very interesting and well written text that even finds a little space to talk about the late war convoys (which are much harder to find information on). Buy it.
on 8 December 2013
iv bought, and given this book as a present to a very good friend of mine, who was in the royal navy d.e.m.s. during the second world war,
and that he had sailed to Russian, and back as well as well as sailing in the artic in convoys a number of times .too, so this book will take him down memory lane, once again and it will give him some thing to read over the Christmas festivities,

This book came polythene wrapped , it was nice and clean, and in good condition, and also delivered before time, by royal mail ,
all in all a very good service all round, from the supplier, amazon and royal mail, too,.
on 13 February 2013
The recent publicity regarding the long overdue Artic Convoy Medal made me decide to purchase this book. My father served on the Russian Convoys (he was an officer on the rescue ship Copeland on Convoy PQ18) and although he told me a little about the conditions I wanted to read a fuller story. I thought the book excellent and gave me the background I wanted.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2013
I enjoyed reading this informative book it's breath of research very evident, not only did we get a day to day account of the convoys and their struggle against the Nazi war machine and the ever pervasive weather which those brave men had daily to fight. It covered in detail the thinking relevant at the time both by the admiralty with regard to precious resources and tactics employed, the huge political pressures imposed on the decision makers at this difficult time. How far off world events also impacted on actions taken which on occasion greatly influenced how this monumental struggle unfolded.
on 5 June 2015
excellent reading very informative
on 16 January 2015
Challenging reading in this heavy tome but worth while reading. I learned about part of my history I didn't know.
on 14 December 2015
Great
on 13 June 2013
A very well written book that gives a graphic description of what these young men endured on those Arctic convoys
on 23 December 2014
Very good. I am researching my fathers war experiences on HMS Campania and this book has been of great help.
on 22 September 2014