on 24 January 2018
Having been to the Ypres and surrounding battlefield areas,I bought this book to refresh me upon certain things,I found it very good reading and a must for any future battlefield explorers,it is a must for them and also to pay tribute to all the brave soldiers that not only lost their lives and the survivors that came back and lived their lives with the horror they must have seen,God bless them all.
One person found this helpful
on 26 December 2013
I visited the field where my Great Uncle Herman was killed during the 3rd battle of Passchendaele. It was a very moving moment. To then visit the Menin Gate and hear the bugle playing at 8o'clock in the evening, an event which has been held nightly for about 80 years was another very moving moment. To then see his name on the 48th Battalion panel and place a poppy alongside his name on behalf of all my family and relatives was a moment in time I shalll treasure forever. This book, purchased after my visit, gives in well explained and precise detail the battles along the Western front I visited, including a very interesting account of the 3rd battle mentioned above. One can only partially visualise the horrors those young men faced, knowing their chances of survival were indeed very slim. Holt sets out well those horror fields so that any one wishing to go there can learn about what took place when, and then see the resting places that he also includes in his book. A good buy and guide for anyone to read and take with them if doing a Wester Front Tour.
6 people found this helpful
on 12 July 2014
We took this book with us on our 2-weeks cycling tour of Flanders and found it invaluable and referred to it constantly. It provides just the right amount of details about battles, cemeteries and memorial sites without overloading the reader with too much technical stuff about military strategy etc. It's also a great size for carrying around while cycle touringas it's not heavy or bulky. Even though we were only in Ypres for 2 day, we found it really opened up a window to the past and to the sheer hell these men must have experienced almost 100 years ago. A great little guide for any visitor, no matter how much time you spend here.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2013
Excellent guide to Ypres, including reasonably priced places to eat.
Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Flanders Fields.
Easy to read text and very good photos/pictures.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 May 2015
The 'bible' of Battlefield guides - had the paper copy for years now added the Kindle - brilliant work from the Holt's - should get knighted for services to the military, archaeological history and tourism!
on 18 August 2017
Excellent pocket guide to this part of the Flanders Battlefields
on 5 February 2016
A great guide to Ypres, Nothing better available, You can do self tours with this book like myself. A must have book, Well put together. 1005 satisfaction.
on 16 July 2014
i'll be back at Ypres for the fourth time in a couple weeks so I downloaded this to my Kindle and discovered lots of new information and ideas for visits. Easily worth the small amount of money it cost.
on 6 February 2014
Super book giving plenty of details of the Ypres area during this conflict,full of excellant imformation on the various battles that took place here,also highlighted lots of places of interest and how to travel there with the time required to do the various tours.
on 12 November 2012
These battlefields guides produced by the Holts are an absolute must if you are visiting these areas. Not only do they provide detailed directions on where to go but provide background information essential for any visit.They are packed full of details of exactly what happened and where.