on 21 October 2015
So interesting to read one man's story of this unfortunate aspect of the second world war. It is one of the most engaging and revealing personal histories of a tortured time in slavery as a POW. While the Burma railway has had so much written about it, the abject hell of life in the Kinkisaki copper mine has not been revealed until now. John McEwan was a slave labourer, working naked in a Formosan copper mine which made the Chingi Gaol seem benign. It was life in the heat, the steam, the tortured hell on earth and it is truly amazing that he survived it.

I can easily give it the full five stars.

Pen & Sword Books
on 20 November 2005
This is an amazing book but also very disturbing .The story John McEwan tells is about life in the hands of the japanese in the rotten P.O.W. camps.
The poetry is wonderfully written full of emotion and turmoil and it is simply the best P.O.W. book I have ever read before.
Buy this book NOW you will not be dissapointed.
on 13 January 2001
A true story. This is an amazing book. John's story begins when he leaves his beloved Nan and sails down the Clyde to waras a young man. He later sails in another ship, a 'hell' ship, as a prisoner of the Japanese. Forced to work in the copper mines in the most inhumane conditions, beaten and starved, John somehow manages to keep his faith and his hopes of freedom and life once again with his beloved Nan. This book is a 'must' for the bookshelf. The book spells out the horrors of war and man's inhumanity to man. In my opinion, John's story deserves more than a few words, it should be taken to a wider audience. A true story, it is one of those books that you can't put down.
on 28 August 2006
This is writen in a very easy to read form, writen from the heart,being born and raised in the same town as John McEwan (now residing in Canada) the names in the book are all familiar, I would like to thank the auther for taking the time to put down on paper memories of the horrors of war. And mans inhumanity to man.

Regards Rob C Bulloch
on 24 November 2000
I found this book incrediably gripping. You always here about Nazi Germany torture but little is told about Japanese, which has a reputation for being worse. This book tells it like it is & makes you more aware of how brutal people can be!
on 6 July 2003
This is the first book I have read on the experiances that British and other allied forces had to go through as prisoners in the hands of the japanese. It shows the influences that a dictator can have over the ways in which individuals act towards other human beings.
The book has been written perfectly and gives firsthand account of life as a slave. Could not put the book down and had to find what happened to JM. Even the ending is very emotional it brought a lump to my throat.
Don't just sit there buy it!!
on 3 January 2014
A wonderful book and so sad that these men were not recognised as heroes. My mother and I shed a tear when we looked at the photo of John "Dempsey" Kane as he was my uncle James best pal from childhood when they lived in Wishaw. When John "Dempsey" Kane came home, he would visit my gran's house often (Sarah Reid)to see James and the family and my mother remembers he used to say before my gran made the sandwiches, "just give me a wee tiny bit of bread and butter as my stomach can't tolerate any more than that" he told them that his stomach and body had never recovered from the terrible experiences that he suffered at the hands of the Japanese. He would not say anymore as he couldn't talk about it. My mother always wondered why he looked ashamed when he said it, however, its only now that she understands why. We both cried when we saw his photo in the book, my mother always remembered him as having lovely wavy hair and he still had that. My mother remembers that John Kane's father had a coal merchants business and John was a strapping boy and had a good solid back, how degrading must it have been for him to be tortured by the Japs. and having to keep the anger inside you. I am so glad that his photo is in this book and at least he will not be forgotten. What a waste of a handsome young man and to many others like John.
on 13 September 2011
My Great uncle Eddie Rose, was a member of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry and part of this epic tale. This book has managed to fill in all the blanks in his story. I found the book breath-takingly disturbing in its description of the horrors that took place and my heart went out to all those that lived and died through it.
on 20 December 2013
I would have given this book 5 stars. However your rating gave the phrase ' i loved it'.
This is not a book to love. This is a book written by an ordinary man urged to join the
rank and file to serve his country against our enermies. These young men that were
put through harrowing experiences for the sake of warmongering politicians and generals.

In memory of my Father in Law who was similar to John McEwen.
on 25 July 2013
This is a remarkable account graphic, in the extreme,s well as monument to Hope.It complements in many ways"Tommorow you Die" by Andy Coogan published in 2012.Andy also served in THE LANARKSHIRE YEOMANRY and like JOHN was a POW who survived the barbarism of his captors.