on 4 September 2013
I'm astounded that THE definitive book on negotiation has so few reviews.

This is my second copy. I let someone borrow my first copy, and it never returned. But that's OK. The world would be a better place if everyone learned how to negotiate like this.

If you're going to a turkish bazaar, this is not going to help guarantee you get the right price for the rug you really want. But if you live in the real world, and especially if you're in business, this will help you understand how to negotiate successfully. And it makes you think differently about how you approach different situations.

Roger Fisher died recently, and I liked the obituary in the Economist. It described how there was a bitter confrontational argument in central america, with one of the parties being Ecuador I believe. Roger Fisher was asked to help in the dispute. Things improved dramatically when he asked the two presidents, who were arguing vehemently and bitterly about the border, to sit down with a map and look at the border. All the posturing disappeared as the parties understood each others concerns. As the obituary concluded, it helped that the Ecuador president had been a university student of Professor Fisher. It shows this is not academic mumbo jumbo. It has real life application.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2017
Great practical advice for normal life where most conflicts lie. If you put this into practice at home and in daily transactions then the higher diplomatic stuff becomes logical. Scenarios easy to visualise. An easy read that makes for good results in life. Be careful of one thing: when your old 'you' manifests in problem situations, you'll kick yourself when looking back knowing what you know after this read!
on 26 October 2014
We all negotiate, whether it is with our employers, employees, partners, friends or even loved ones. We negotiate all the time.
This is why I think everyone should read this book, as it seeks to change negotiations from something that looks like a chess game between two opposing sides to a "lets-work-together" dialogue. Some of the issues raised in the book were very familiar to me and made perfect sense, others I think are a little bit easier said then done, but overall a good book on how to get the best out of any negotiating process.
on 21 August 2017
Textbook reading for anyone wishing to understand the dynamics of negotiating or for those who wish to hone their skills in this area. It's a great easy to read & enjoyable book.
on 29 August 2017
I've not finished reading the book yet but I am enjoying it so far. Not sure if it will actually work in my life but certainly worth giving it a go.
on 11 November 2014
I am a professional negotiator and I can say this is one of, if not the, most useful book in negotiations. The author used plain English which makes the book easy to comprehend and can be finished in a fairly short time. Also the book is based on the authors' real life experience which makes it easy to apply and practice. Of course you need time to master the techniques but this is normal.
on 24 June 2015
This book has changed my outlook on negotiation. Suddenly opportunities to negotiate and practise the ideas in this book abound. In particular, I have recommended this book to several people. It's not necessarily about getting your way. It's about getting what's fair.
on 7 June 2017
If you are in sales this is a good read
on 29 October 2014
Fantastic read, and that regardless of who you are or what you do, to learn to negotiate in a constructive ways is a skill worth having in one's life
on 6 January 2016