TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 August 2014
Actually, I think I made it through safely without encountering the horrid chinches. The author also does a slimmer set of maps, which you might prefer, just on the weight issue. It's not a heavy book and fitted comfortably in my trouser pocket. But do you really need it? The camino is brilliantly, extensively waymarked and albergues are usually signposted as well. Added to that, there's a procession of pilgrims to follow.

I would say yes, you do. It's easy to get glib once one's underway, but the book is full of useful information and encouragement, things which more than make up for the mystical reflections. Maps, guidance on Spanish/English words, options for avoiding the roads, detours (challenging or otherwise) and unless you keep a detailed journal it's very easy to lose track of where exactly you've been, so when people ask you later it'll be, "Um...yeah...that village after the town, in the little hostel, err..." There are spaces to write notes as you go along.

This is the work of an experienced pilgrim and the practical warnings are sage. The copy I received could have used some proofreading. It's only fair to say that a book like this plays just as much of a part in turning the summer months on the camino frances into 'bedlam' as any Hollywood flick, but ask yourself, would your journey have started without it?

A good companion.
on 23 October 2014
I really cannot understand anyone who does not find this a useful book. If you want to walk the Camino, then this book is the best of those that are in English. It is small, and the maps are not scaleable, but it contains all the information that will help you through. The routes (but not the best alternatives - see the French guides for some of those) are clearly described. There is information on the albergues, casas rurales, pensions and hotels. You do not need to carry any other reference. The spirtual musings are not my cup of tea, but then I cannot claim to be a spiritual person. The Camino is for me, simply, a really long walk, and this book is a great help in the planning and the execution of that walk. Brierley's guides are the best in English that I have found. If you want something as good on the web, try the excellent Caminopedia site. the two go well together.
on 25 February 2014
I'm very pleased with this guide. It has plenty of useful information. It will be a very good companion for this year's pilgrimage. You can count on it to find accomodations and find the best paths to Santiago.
on 25 March 2014
Excellent advice and an essential for anyone walking the Camino . I walked the Camino last year and this was invaluable.
on 20 May 2014
When I was walking the Camino I had planned my trip with this book and having it with me was the best company ever :)
on 21 April 2014
Recommended by a friend who walked the whole camino and said that this book was an invaluable guide. I like what I've seen so far - just need to translate all this intent to action!
on 25 May 2014
Excellent book, it is obviously written by a walker, when I hopefully complete the camino in october, if there are any faults, which I doubt, I'll amend this review
on 22 May 2014
This book is excellent when it comes to maps and albergue recommendations. It would have been 5-star if it har contained a few more historical anecdotes.
on 19 July 2015
Write your review here
i would definitely recommend this book, by family has done this walk, beautifully readen, the walk is inspirationally,go for it, age dose not matter, after reading it , i just want to back my bag, good luck, a good price, go for it
on 28 June 2015
Again, if bought in tandem with Pilgrim's tips and Practical preparation, you should be thoroughly prepared for your journey. Make use of the handy local knowledge and tips from each book and you should be as prepared as the seasoned traveller.