on 13 March 2017
An interesting read but as a huge fan of other books by Sarah Waters (eg Fingersmith, Tipping The Velvet, The Paying Guests) I must admit I was disappointed with The Little Stranger. I really love her style of writing and hate being negative but I really was disappointed by this story. As always her writing flows well and transports you to the setting so that you can almost see the characters and the locations, which is a brilliant skill. Set in post-war rural Warwickshire she perfectly captures the changing class system and the effects of social change, bringing the setting of Hundreds Hall brilliantly to life in all its vivid falling-down state. I love her other books but this one just didn't do it for me. I didn't take to the main character from fairly early-on, although a man of his time and so is probably well represented. When the paranormal events started happening it became exciting and intriguing, it really felt like it was building up to something big for the end, but actually, in my opinion, was a bit of a lame ending - maybe I'm missing something, but to me I was really disappointed at the ending. When I've read 499 pages of a book, expecting a big ending (be it paranormal or psychological in nature) I expect to put the book down feeling everything has come together at the end and wanting to read it all again - like with Tipping The Velvet or Fingersmith - but for me this just didn't happen unfortunately. I'm glad to see others enjoyed the book, it just wasn't for me, although it won't stop me reading more Sarah Waters in future, I'm hoping this was just a book that didn't suit me. I would highly recommend Sarah Waters for her incredible skills as a writer, but maybe not this book, try Fingersmith, Tipping The Velvet or The Paying Guests instead, especially if this is your first encounter with her writing.
on 16 August 2017
This was a very interesting book to read especially as they have been filming it in my home town. Is it a ghost story I think it's up to you to decide at the end. It is a very descriptive read, you could really imagine the surroundings. There was very much social comment about the time it was set in, everyone knew there place. All in all a good story as well as being a social history.
on 18 June 2012
I found the novel became very engrossing, even though the story and tension built very slowly, and was initially relatively uneventful. The depth of the characters, their interactions and the way they had to acknowledge and cope with the changes that were happening in the social structure at the time kept me interested. Then there was the hall itself, its presence grew more dominating and creepy as the local doctor became more and more involved with the family who owned it. The strange things that happened there eventually became so disturbing that I found the book hard to put down. This is the first Sarah Water's novel I have read and I am looking forward to reading The Night Watch.
on 7 June 2016
Love it, a beautifully crafted got his tale with romance that will have you yelling at the pages. An awesome audio commentary too.
on 1 January 2013
I thought this book was so superb I read it twice. Highly atmospheric, intriguing and skilfully written. It's a genuinely chilling read, and the author handles the plot with great élan. Definitely one to read if you're a Waters can or simply if you enjoy a cracking, suspenseful novel.
on 21 March 2017
Hi good condition.
on 24 July 2017
Great book and great condition
on 14 April 2017
This is the first Sarah Waters book I have found almost unreadable. Usually love her work - wish I'd never bought this.
on 11 December 2014
bought as a present. they love it
on 23 February 2017
Great book, it really had my heart pumping in some sections! An easy read and I couldn't put it down