Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2012
All the ideas here for cooking in a bedsitter are ingenious. These ideas apply to any situation where you need to eat with minimum time and fuss, and with limited cooking resources. But the recipes are completely different between my 1963 edition and my 1991 edition. The 1991 edition was badly affected by the ill-informed fad for "low-cholesterol" eating, with traditional recipes denatured. The 1963 edition, by contrast, contains the original healthy traditional recipes using butter and cream and bacon and other tasty ingredients, the style to which we are now returning as our nutritional information improves.
on 12 May 2017
A trip down memory lane. A good read but I don't do the recipes
on 3 October 2014
some very good ideas.
on 16 May 2000
This little cookery book was first published, I believe, in the early 70's and as a non cooking person it was absolutely vital to my survival as a student. It's basic, in simple english, and assumes you know nothing. Everything can be cooked on a single ring and there is no need for a huge larder and/or freezer to back up the recipes, and yet the meals are interesting and tasty. With so many of us not receiving 'cookery' lessons at school any more and a greater dependence on pre-prepared food, this little book is a godsend for anyone wanting to learn how to 'do it yourself'. Oh yes, and I still have my battered, gravy stained copy!
on 5 September 2005
I purchased a 1968 edition in a second hand book shop in Fremntle Western Australia for some ideas for some quick receipes at home. Little did I know that I would be taking it away in my caravan for a trip to Darwin and back.
I found this book excelent for use in the caravan as your traveling most of the time and cannot have too much food in the fridge.
It look like I now need another copy one for the caravan(then I will not forget to take with me) and one for home.
on 11 April 2009
An excellent book of easy, mainly one pot dishes. With advice for basic budget meals for yourself to entertaining others (always fix your hair before the potatoes, you can excuse yourself to see to the potatoes...). Being the oldest in the family I inherited the 1960's edition that was my father's, my sisters own more updated copies. It is a treasure that I will purchase copies of to send away with my own children when they fly the nest, although at 10 the youngest has already made the spag bol during our family "come dine with me competition" - he won!
on 24 November 2000
This little book taught me how to cook when I was actually living in a bed-sit as an art student in London in the 70s. I still use it. All recipes and cooking hints are ace. Buy it, you'd love it- You or your guests won't be disappointed.
on 20 July 2009
I first encountered this book over 20 years ago when I was a student - and it was over 20 years old then! I've never lived in that kind of bedsitter but when you're sharing a kitchen with a horde of other students, only taking up one ring of the cooker helps. Today I live alone and recipes for one are still a vital need. There are a lot of us! - a point recognised by Delia Smith when she did a whole TV series and book called "One is fun" - but this book contains simpler more practical recipes. Some are even quite improbable - the fricassee of veal sounds very weird but trust me, it's quick and surprisingly tasty even done with beef mince! I'm still trying new ones. Just this weekend I tried the lamb rissoles, which were a definite success, as I happened to have some leftover diced lamb. (Hint: buy a Kenwood mini chopper as recommended by Delia. For recipes like that it cuts out an incredible amount of work as most of it is mincing/chopping the ingredients.)

Highly recommended for anyone needing ideas on cooking for one.

Why does the Product Description refer to Whitehorn's autobiography? This is a cookbook, not her autobiography.
on 12 February 2009
This is the book I took to college in 1973 and it taught me to cook on a very small budget and limited equipment. It still sits on my kitchen shelf and is used regularly even though it's now falling apart. I have been checking regularly over the last few years for a re-issue so that I can replace it. I have also bought it for my 22yr old niece who's just moved into her own place and who never learned to cook and another friend recently mentioned that it was her first cookbook too. Creole Sausage is one of my favourites as is fish spaghetti and I use the Ratatouille recipe all the time. This little book assumes that you do not have a vast store of speciality ingredients or clever cooking gadgets and provides tasty, nourishing meals from basic ingredients. Well recomended.
on 31 December 2010
The publisher has, unbelievably, omitted the index, making it hard to find a recipe. This completely ruins this reprint unless you only want to use it as a nostalgic read, not the practical cookbook which of course it is.