on 22 May 2014
It's a bit far fetched but Du Maurier's elegant writing and beautifully evocative prose keeps you interested. The usual Du Maurier features shine through in the protagonist - strong, bored, frustrated, sexual, not entirely likeable. While I wanted to keep reading and it's a nice story, it's really not as good as Rebecca, My Cousin Rachel or Jamaica Inn. Also, don't read the foreword - it gives the game away ...
3 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
Daphne du Maurier always pleases with her novels. An easy read, which you can pick up and put down. Towards the end of the book, it is a real page turner. An interesting story which in reality would probably never happen but a great read.
on 1 December 2017
This book grew on me as I read it. It's a plot driven read but the characters are sufficiently well drawn to be sympathetic. It has a realistic ending rather than a romantic one but it's a satisfying ending all the same. I enjoyed it.
on 18 June 2015
My fave book of all time, being a Cornish raised sea loving romantic myself. I've always loved Du Maurier's descriptive prose and Cornwall and in particular the Helford Passage where I was brought up is so vividly real that I was with Donna and her wild escapism all the way ! :-)
2 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2009
Lady Donna moves away from her dull husband in London and walks into excitement and passion all set against the dramtic backdrop of the beautiful cornish coast

I loved the pirate seduces Lady Donna, you are rooting for them even though you probably shouldnt. I disagree with other reviews on here which suggest the book is aimed at a teen audience. Just because sex is only hinted at it in no way detracts from the passionate feel of the book and allows for the readers imagination !!

A swashbuckling tale which asks the question " how far would you go to project the one you love" read it and find out!!
on 20 June 2018
I don’t get the hype surrounding this author. If someone wrote this book today it would be classed as chick lit, trite, boring and unbelievable.Not impressed.
on 18 February 2015
I have loved this story since I was a child. It's a wonderful combination of romance and adventure and Daphne Du Maurier's writing is really wonderful with a combination of mystery and magic.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 May 2017
Fantastically romantic tale, read it immediately! A glimpse of seafaring shenanigans and true love in maritime Cornwall, pirates and high society, who could ask for more?
on 28 July 2014
Lady Dona, fed-up London beauty, arrives at the family estate in Cornwall expecting to play with her children and be bored. Instead she finds an attractive Frenchman using the creek and falls in love. Daphne Dumaurier has the knock of creating a wonderful atmosphere and great characters and this is a wonderful romance full of summer warmth and adventure. One of my all time favourite books.
on 16 October 2017
I loved it.
Such a great story.
Du Maurier write an excellent heroine.