Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2014
It's been years since I read this book so i picked it up once again to reread it with the motivation being the fact that I will be visiting Jamaica Inn in Cornwall sometime soon so I wanted to refresh my memory.

The story is about a young orphan , Mary Yeller who comes to live with her aunt following the death of her parents. When she arrives at the inn she sees her aunt is a shadow of her former self. Although Mary doesn't like it at the Inn she doesn't want to leave her aunt on her own. As Mary uncovers secrets and the evil lurking in the inn which is only frequented by criminals and not any respectable citizen, she gets drawn into some dangerous situations and finds the truth is even darker then initially anticipated which when discovered changes her forever. Along the way she meets Jem, her Uncle's horse thieving brother who forms the main love interest although there isn't a romantic bone in his body :) and also the mysterious albino Vicar Francis Davey.

A haunting tale of an evil and brooding inn landlord up to no good amongst the backdrop of the forbidding moors.

Lovely book, makes me want to visit Cornwall more then ever.
on 21 June 2014
I really love Du Maurier but didn't find this to be her usual level of spellbinding suspense. I was disappointed by the main character going from independent woman to man obsessed. Of course it's a different time and place but would be nice if she hadn't gone from brave, different and independent do weak and dull. Also, aside from the genetic link to her aunt, I couldn't understand why she stayed at Jamaica as there is nothing to like in the aunt's character.
on 21 July 2017
One of my all time favourties! The most incredible book with twists and turns throughout. I absolutely LOVE this book. Give it a read!
on 31 August 2014
Can't believe I've never got around to reading this book before. Stopped off at Jamaica Inn often enough over the years for a meal and a pint, but I'd never been tempted by Du Maurier's book. A real ripping yarn of a story, which I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone young or old.
on 11 May 2014
A dark tale superbly written, the writers ability to describe the character's ,the landscapes, and events is fantastic, the book is gripping from beginning to end, but not a book for the faint hearted.
I am hooked on this author, and I will be adding more of her work to my collection.
on 13 January 2017
Very good
on 12 June 2014
I read this as a result of trying to watch the dreadful and much criticised television version. while infinitely better than the pathetic TV adaptation, it is still a rather grim and disappointing read.

it hasn't lasted as well as Rebecca.
on 16 March 2017