on 9 May 2017
I'm not sure if I'll get to try all 1001 but I'm trying, also got one for my friend I think I'm winning the race to try them all
on 19 September 2014
This book is massive! Not simply because of the size and weight which result from the high quality paper but because of its content. It covers whiskies from around the world in a huge amount of detail and it doesn't concentrate on malts, plenty of premium blends are included too. This is a book you can get lost in for hours. There is plenty of historical information on each distillery as well as notes on their production methods, equipment and barrels used for maturation. The reviews are entertaining and informative and will appeal to novices and aficionados.

Tasting notes are thankfully brief but adequate. There is just enough information to allow us to gain an impression of the whisky's style. (I remain sceptical of such descriptions because they are highly subjective and no two tasters ever seem to find the same flavours in the same whisky. The vast majority of us are not blessed with the ultra sensitive noses and tongues of professional tasters and I can honestly say that I have never detected a hint of pineapple in any whisky which I have sampled).

It is unlikely that any of us will taste 10% of the whiskies described in this book but that is of no consequence. It remains a fascinating and well researched work which is a pleasure to read.
on 27 October 2012
This book is great. If you are even moderately interested in whisky (and not just scotch, but whiskies from anywehere around the world, including Ireland, USA, Canada, Japan, Europe and Asia) then this book is for you. Each page describes two bottles (expressions), not just the popular ones, but some lesser known and collectors items. There is lots of information about the distilleries, the histories, the people and production methods, as well as brief tasting notes. In short, this is a great book. Well produced and presented (using good quality paper). It would make a great gift for anybody interested in whisky.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 December 2014
What a fascinating book. I bought this because I've been learning about whisky, particularly single malts, since I'm relatively new in the UK. I've been trying out whiskies from the supermarkets when they're on offer, and found a broad range of whiskies that I like, and wanted to explore more. This book is massive, with color illustrations on every page, and short reviews for each whisky. You get the feeling as you browse it that the reviews are sometimes a bit generic, and there's no suggestion of prices: it would be good to have a star system or similar for prices, with one star being the cheapest and five the most expensive. Because some of the whiskies in the book are very expensive, as I've seen when I looked them up. But it's great to have a handbook, which will help me discover more great things to drink.
on 20 December 2012
For a 1001 kind of book, I didn't hold much hope that it would cover the greats, but I was pleasantly surprised. I collect whiskey as an investment and I was totally encouraged by the content of this book.
on 29 August 2012
Very complete whisky description for all of the bottles tasted, but although it wasn't the books purpose, some sort of ranking/notes to establish a comparison would be nice. It would also be very helpfull to have some sort of whisky index by flavour profile.
on 2 January 2013
This is a must for every malt afficionado.Did you know there is a Welsh Whisky ,youll find it under Pendaryn.this weighty tome of 1000 pages gives you all you need from A to Z including taste,smell and makersand at ten quid its a snip(rrp £20)
on 2 January 2013
Was a gift for my son in law plus bottle of Connemara whiskey. I have heard he got home from abroad at 1.00am and immediately started reading this book. Thank you
on 19 February 2015
A sumptuous, beautifully produced book, with some fascinating background and interesting choices. Some rare whiskies, some expensive ones, but mostly easily obtained and reasonably priced. Interesting choices from all over the world, although nearly half of the selections are Scotch. A treat for whisky lovers.
on 22 November 2013
Well what can I say? I really could not believe it when I received this book in the post. It is so heavy! Bought for a Xmas present and I am not a whiskey drinker, but having flicked through it, I think it is a perfect present for any whiskey drinker. I would recommend this book.