on 12 June 2017
I bought all his books. The recipes are written in note format. A lot of steps and advice are missing, especially any which tell you what is critical, i.e ensure the brandy snap mixture is completely cool which will take up to an hour instead of allow the mixture to cool and form balls. I've tried 6 recipes from the various books and all 6 are pretty much guesswork. They don't work, too basic in detail. Either he is a really bad chef or purposely safeguarding his recipes. He should not be proud of his work. I have lots of cookbooks and Rick Stein never fails to miss a step in his book allowing you to recreate the recipes to a flawless standard. Sorry, really substandard instructions producing sub-standard work. Avoid.Mine are going to the charity shop.
on 11 October 2017
This is one of my favourite vegetarian recipe books. Simon Rimmer is a self taught omnivorous chef who happened to find himself running a veggie restaurant. His recipes work, are delicious and mostly straightforward (the trickier ones are very much worth the effort). A few reviews I have suggested that the instructions lack detail. However I have never had a problem with the recipes I cook some of which like the Patatas Bravas and the Watermelon Salad have become part of my standard repertoire. There is one point to watch which is that the book was written in 2004 when awareness that parmesan is by definition not vegetarian due to the use of animal rennet was not what it is today, but substitute "vegetarian parmesan style cheese" and you are good to go.
on 1 July 2017
I loved simon rimmer on the good (great) food series. In this his recipes are down to earth, easy to follow, and he has a great sense of huimour which makes it even easier to read
on 24 May 2017
Love him on Sunday Brunch but I couldn't get on with the recipes.
on 16 August 2017
Awful!
on 14 September 2017
lovely recipes. easy to achieve great results
on 18 July 2013
I have a huge collection of Vegetarian Cookbooks and this is a useful addition. Some inspired,original recipes, thanks Simon! RB
on 7 February 2005
I was first made aware of Simon from UKTV Good Food Live. His recipes in this book are fantastic. Pictures are realistic - as in what you make actually looks like the pictures - and the dishes straightforward.
Thoroughly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 19 February 2016
Some great sounding and no doubt great tasting recipes in this book, although I have yet to try many of them. It is badly let down by the paucity of photographs of the dishes. This is important because amateur cooks like me get inspired by the photos and need them to get an idea of how the dish should look at the end of our endeavours. If you need one Veggie cook book then I recommend Gino's Veg Italia!
on 24 June 2016
Not keen on this one a lot of fussy stuff