Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2004
It can be a bit of a gamble forking out on something by an unknown author but it definitely paid off with 'You Are Here'.
I have no idea how the writer will favour direct comparisons to already established colleagues but the best way I can think of describing his book is to say it reminds me of Nick Hornby, and to a lesser degree, William Boyd. The former because of the use of easy to identify with references to recent history and the musical theme, the latter for the insights into the male psyche that few others manage to convey so perceptively.
In summary, You Are Here is a cracking read - every bit as compelling as 'High Fidelity' or 'A Good Man in Africa'. Essential fare for that Meditteranean holiday - either take it with you to read by the pool or let the book take you there.
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2004
Fantastic!! You are here changed my life for exactly one week! From the moment I picked it up, I decided I too wanted to be on holiday in Crete drinking every night and enjoying....well, enjoying what lads on holiday enjoy. Steve Horsfall offers an excellent insight into how the 'lads' mind works, and the book absorbs you into the life of these 4 mates on holiday. Every time I put the book down it was shortly followed by a phone call to gather my mates together and go out to a bar...we may not have been in Crete but it just made me feel like going out and enjoying a few beers. It is a fantastic story, well written and the characters are all guys you could go and enjoy a beer with! If I could be any of them, it would of course have to be Dave (I won't spoil the story by saying how he gets on with Elsie...just having a chance would be good!!). Excellent!! A must read...it will remind you of summer!
0Comment| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2004
Excellent. It took me three days to read and I could not put it down. I really loved all the retro references, with memories of the seventies and watching the Big Match on Sunday afternoons to the eighties and everything from the Young Ones to Live Aid. Some great bands are referenced too. 'You Are Here' really made me appreciate how times have changed in the last few decades.
The author really captures the thoughts of someone born in the sixties. All the characters are so believable it is as if you know them already. Even better, the supporting characters are also quirky and really stand out (is the author a Dickens fan by any chance?)
Having read 'You Are Here' I feel that I have just been to Crete myself. This could do for the island what 'Is Harry On The Boat' did for Ibiza, and believe me this is just as good.
The feelgood ending (without giving it away) will help all Englishmen forget the summer we've just had.
Don't miss out on this one.
0Comment| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 October 2004
The key reason that I enjoyed this book was the music. I too 'grew up with the sounds of The Jam and The Clash' which made all the consistent references to songs and bands of my youth so pertinent. There are so many references here that you almost have a continual soundtrack in your head. Some quite obscure stuff as well. I actually still have my yellow vinyl copy of Banana Splits by the Dickies.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2004
The girls or lads holiday is seen as a right of passage, something that you do before you 'settle down' and get old and boring! This book challenges that idea and explores why we all need to move on, and moving on is not boring at all!
It is well written and very funny, compulsive reading. You really want the characters to achieve their aims.
The writing at times, really puts you in the scene allowing you to share the experiences and really visualise what is going on. At times you feel like you have met some of the characters which makes it all the more enjoyable and believable.
Well worth a read!
0Comment| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2004
You Are Here, is a fantastic read which brings you so close to each character that in the end they feel like friends. The book is difficult to put down and I really hope that somebody will turn this into a movie. I would highly recommend this book and look forward the authors next.
on 11 August 2004
I read this by the Pool on my hols in the Algarve and it was just brilliant. It is just the perfect summer read - this should be in the top ten ( it's already one of my favourite books of all time). It hit the spot on everything and there is a never a dull moment. Some great observations on how life is viewed for those of us nearing 40. I've never been to Crete but I want to go now, especially if there's any more girls like Elsie hanging around ( she's the main Female character by the way). If they make this into a film (and they should) I wanna play Dave
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2006
If you've ever been on a lads holiday you'll be able to relate to this tale of four friends on their annual "campaign" abroad. Dave, Tony, Gavin and Phil, four similar yet very different friends try their luck meeting the women of their dreams. There are many hilarious scenarios that I found only too familiar and was nodding my head at in agreement as they unfolded. The author has a keen eye for "pulling" do's and don't's and relationship no no's. The story is also punctuated with numerous pop culture references which should appeal to anyone who remembers the eighties. It moves along at a breezy pace and is ideal reading for men and women alike, especially if you're thinking of heading somewhere warm for a holiday. Highly recommended.
on 10 November 2004
I read this book on holiday and really enjoyed it. There is something for everyone to relate to within this book. I found myself laughing away whilst sat by the pool. Great read!!
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2006
This is a superb book; following the lives and misadventures of 4 thirty something 'lads', that is completely 'I've got to read this again straight away' fantastic. Absolutely hysterical! Make this book an essential part of your summer holidays this year, but be warned, this is not for prudes. After reading this, you'll just want to book that holiday. Buy this book this summer!