Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 January 2012
The tin is cute. The idea is lovely. Sadly that's about as good as it gets.
Instructions were okay - but could be found anywhere online for free. The yarn is acrylic, and the worst quality acrylic I've seen in a long time. I am really glad that I got to check this item out in a shop before I bought it for my friend. Instructions for learning to knit could be found online, free patterns to knit anything can be found on 'ravelry' (online) and much better quality yarn can be bought in most towns or online.
Instead of this I bought my friend Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner which gives brilliant and fool proof instructions for learning to knit and a great variety of simple knit items to make including scarves, hot water bottle covers, bags, mitts, baby cardigan etc. Then I bought some needles and some better quality but still cheap acrylic yarn.
on 11 November 2011
I do a lot of crafts but for some reason knitting has always been a bit of an achillies heal for me. I saw this and thought I would get it and have another go. To my delight it has been a brilliant re-introduction to the skill. I've almost finished the scarf which feels like the icing on the cake really as it's such lovely colours being very Cath Kidston of course.
I will be getting some more needles and perhaps a book or two with other things to knit. It's going to be a very woolly christmas for my family this year!
Thanks to Cath Kidston for another lovely craft book.
on 11 November 2011
My girlfriend is a HUGE Cath Kidston fan and this has been a massive success! Having only dabbled with knitting in the past, this kit had her up and running in no time and now she has a brand new scarf, which even I've been known to borrow for a dash to the shops.

If you're a bloke and your girlfriend loves Cath Kidston, even if she's never knitted before in her life, get her this project tin!
I am not entirely impressed with this set.

On the plus side, it is nicely presented and looks good as a gift. The packaging is nice and the overall look is attractive.

There are problems though. The wool is acrylic and it splits far too easily. It is poor quality. The needles are very slippery and the wool slides off easily. I also found the instructions are not really adequate. I beginner could not cope with them.

At the end of the day, if you used different needles, got some better quality wool and got instructions online, this would work. But them there would be absolutely no point in buying this set!

Not recommended.
on 20 July 2013
I have enormous feet. they are so big that I am unable to find socks that fit properly. So I have decided to learn how to make my own. That is quite an advanced skill so to begin with I thought a beginners kit such as this would be ideal. How wrong I was.
To be fair there are some good points. The tin is nice for wool storage and the needles are reasonable quality. However the instructions are dire. They are so brief that they feel incomplete. I couldn't knit before I read them. After reading them I still couldn't knit and was very confused. they are better suited to someone who used to knit but has not for some time. they feel more like a refresher, than a proper tutorial. The real problem is the wool. it is appalling quality. It's acrylic, meaning at no point has it even seen a sheep. it unravels on the needle meaning that telling one stitch from another can become impossible, and it feels awful. I have since bought some better wool and the difference is remarkable. Knitting is so much easier if you invest in some quality wool. I bought this kit thinking it was value for money. It is not. I have bought new needles, a decent beginners knitting book, and new wool. I now only have the box left. But it is filled with quality items that are a pleasure to use.
Not a kit I can recommend.
on 4 April 2015
I was really disappointed with this item. I was not a complete beginner and mainly got this for the tin. If I had been a beginner I imagine o would have quickly given up...the instructions are not clear as they should be and the quality is shockingly bad. The ends kept coming off the needles and needed to be superglued back on and the wool was the worst I have ever worked with...it kept splitting a bad falling apart in my hands as I worked. There were huge 'clumps' and knots in te wool and it was impossible to use. I binned it and replaced with my own. As a Cath Kidston fan I was appalled and disappointed by the poor quality of what could easily have been an excellent product.
on 11 November 2011
I've just bought this as a birthday present for my teenage niece and she loves it! This is a really well thought out introduction to knitting and my niece has already made a start on the lovely scarf in the tin. She's told me how easy it is to pick up the basics of knitting from the booklet, as well as following the instructions on the leaflet for actually knitting the scarf itself. And, once she's finished the scarf, she's got a lovely, large tin she can put bits and pieces in. The perfect gift!
on 22 July 2015
Put simply, the needles in this kit are too short for the number of stitches required. This has been noted by at least 8 other reviewers on here and in one case, Cath Kidston replaced the needles with a circular one allowing the scarf to be knitted. I, too, contacted Jade Wren of their Customer Service Department but she denied any prior knowledge of this fundamental problem. She was as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, which is not good, that it is really not fit for purpose.
on 26 January 2013
I wanted to start knitting and put this on my Christmas list as firstly it had everything you needed in it (apart from scissors), came in a nice tin and you were able to make a project straight away. I also loved the tin which looks like a book.

Just before Christmas my Mum taught me to knit so I was really hoping I would get this for Christmas. My lovely sister brought it for me and I started it off on Christmas day but did have a bit of trouble at first as there were so many stitches to cast on and I kept running out of wool (ie I did leave enough wool before the slipknot when I started casting on).

The knitting was quite easy to do, however the only thing that was missing from the instructions was how to make the hole to pull the scarf through (rather than tying the scarf when on, you just loop the long end through a gap in the scarf). I ended up having to look on YouTube and made a bit of a mess of that bit but it was my first big knitting project so I didn't really mind.

The scarf took me about 2 weeks to complete, knitting for a an hour or two a night. You are left with quite a bit of wool too so you can make small little projects and you also still have the needles.

I really love this kit and it was great to get over the Christmas period and think it is perfect for teenagers upwards (it may be a bit tricky for younger people as the stitches can slip off the needles easily as there is so much to fit on the needle as you knit it length wise)

My tip would be to get a champagne cork (perfect if doing it over Christmas) to use as a stopper to stop your knitting slipping off the needle when you aren't knitting. You can of course get a proper stopper but a champagne cork works perfectly and much cheaper.
on 7 October 2012
I was looking to buy this set for a while and am so happy I looked on Amazon once I decided I wanted it. It was a great price and I purchased it straight away, when it arrived I was not Let down by the quality of the products but there was a slight fault with the tin where there was indentations and marks probably from the postal service. I contacted Amazon and as usual they sent out a replacement and made my not so good experience into a pleasant one. I love my replacement and I'm so happy that I did decide to purchase it and I always get a smile on my face when I look in other shops and see it for full price as I know I've definitely received a bargain. I hope this review helps you with your choice and thank you for reading it :-)