on 27 June 2012
For a number of years I had an ambition to make curries to a similar standard to my local restaurants - a couple of months ago I bought and borrowed about 10 recipe books - purchased every spice known to the Asian continent & began cooking - the first couple of attempts were so-so (6/10 efforts) but I learnt the basics quickly, i.e making a smooth paste of fresh Ginger/Garlic/Onion is a good base for many dishes & crushing the spices together with a mortar & pestle is advised! - I managed to make tasty curries on about the third or fourth attempt (though still not quite as nice as the better curry houses!).
After repeating my success a few times it was time to move on & that's where "I Love Curries" comes into it's own.
I had seen Anjum Anand on the Good Food channel & liked her ideas & her approach to explaining the cooking process - her book impresses immediately - it is well laid out & very attractive with enticing photos of completed meals.
She provides a good introduction to Indian cooking - explains the role of many spices & ingredients & also gives hints on how to "rescue" any curries that are not quite right when they are close to completion.
The book says "The best Indian curries you will ever make" - well to date the two I have made have been about the best so far for me - a Spicy Chicken Andhra & a Green Chilli Chicken Balti - both fairly straightforward & both delicious - I did slightly tweak her method - adding a few things & simmering at the end for about 25 minutes whilst the rice was coming along - this also gave more time for the chicken to cook & tenderise - I liked her tip of piercing Green Chillies and leaving them to cook whole in the curry - very tasty.
So far I'm very impressed I will soon go on to try her Lamb Rogan Josh & Beef Madras - again they look fairly straightforward to make & I anticipate a good result.
Originally I was going to start off with her Pork Vindaloo but my basic knowledge suggested to me that it might not be a successful method - I tried a similar version from another book with more sauce & a longer cooking time & the pork & potato were both still "tough" - so I have reservations about that particular recipe.
To sum up I feel that this book will advance a "modest" curry maker such as myself to a higher level - my first couple of meals using this book have been to a comparable standard to meals that I pay two or three times more for from local curry houses!
Note : When I started off buying spices a few months ago I bought them from the main supermarkets - I strongly advise that if you have a sizeable Asian community near to you then get down to one of their mini markets - items such as bay leaves, cinnamon, mustard seeds etc can be a little as 25% of the cost of a large supermarket & main spices such as turmeric, paprika etc are usually half the cost & they will have more choice of makes.
11 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2016
I've had this book for years now and we love it. We refer to the book all the time and have even gone out on our own a bit more successfully than we might otherwise have done. She does love to simmer things endlessly and I say ba humbug! Have pressure cooker and will use it. Nevertheless the curries do turn out rather well even in a pressure cooker (reduce the amount of fluid added), sometimes far better for it. It makes for very tender meat even with the cheapest cuts. But not to worry if you like taking it slow, they still turn out delicious and not all the recipes take hours. The spices are more obtainable than you may think so don't panic. I do recommend going for the Kashmiri chillies - they are milder than the run of the mill dried chillies, but you can taste the authentic flavours better rather than just the heat. What I also recommend that you buy is the right blenders. We have an electric coffee grinder to grind spices which copes well with even cinnamon sticks and a small blender to grind up the garlic and the ginger. Once you start grinding your own spices you'll never go back. I stopped copying her recipes into my folder because it would mean copying out the whole book. They say you only use 2-3 recipes from each book, that's definitely not the case with this book. It's great value for money.
on 28 October 2017
I received this as a present a few years ago and have steadily gone through and cooked most of the curries in it. Everything tastes wonderful. I consider myself a good cook, but had little experience of cooking Indian food. I cannot recommend this book enough. Every recipe works, no tweaking required, and every person who has tried these dishes sings their praises (well, they sing mine, but all I'm doing is following the instructions!) I love practical cookbooks that you can really cook from, and this is most certainly one of them. (I have a couple of "pretty" ones by famous chefs that have languished on the bookshelf and eventually gone to charity shops). My copy of this cookbook has plenty of splatters from frequent kitchen use.
on 25 April 2014
Like many people, we have a lot of cookery books and many of these are curry books. However, this is the one we use most. The recipes will require you to buy a group of about 10 different spices - readily available and reasonably priced. Once you have bought them, you will find that they last you a good long time and that the replacement cost, as you use them is very modest.
The recipes in may seem quite complicated but they are not. Most divide into 3 parts - get a set of mixed spices together, make a paste of onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and plain yoghurt, then add them in order to meat or vegetables etc. on the cooker. If we are having friends round and we don't want to cook the curry ahead of time, then we sometimes prepare these elements ahead of time and just put them together at the time.
The results and tastes that you will get from this book are superb, truly superb. Once you have used the recipes contained here, you will find that the pre-bought pastes from the supermarket are really poor quality and are also very expensive in comparison. You may also subsequently find that Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant meals are sadly lacking too.
Definitely something for everyone and not too involved. A lovely chicken curry or lamb dopiazza typically takes us about 20 minutes to prepare and a further 20 - 30 minutes in the pan. The resulting curry is excellent.
As always, you will need to try the level of chilly-hotness for yourself and settle down on what you enjoy best - we have made loads of notes in the recipes so that we know how much chilly to use as compared to what is suggested.
We have also given this book to countless friends and they also have sung its praises - very highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2016
I am passionate about cooking Indian food and have been honing my skills for many years so it is unsurprising that I have purchased a large number of recipe books to develop my repertoire. I can honestly say that this book (along with another of Anjum's books) is one of the best of used. The recipes are well explained and photographed accurately but most importantly they deliver on flavour. I have cooked approximately half of the recipes in this book and I have been delighted with every single one. My particular favourites are the Rogan Josh and Tarka Dahl recipes!
One person found this helpful
on 18 July 2012
I love cooking and I love curry. I've never really cooked a tradtional curry before.
I looked around at various books, and decided on this one.

It was a great choice. There is a decent amount of Appetisers , side dishes and currys in here along with some bread receipes. There should be enough choice for people to find something they like, be it spicey mild, fish, chicken,duck, or lamb etc.

So far I have cooked 6 of the curries and 3 of the breads. All have turned out edible some have turned out amazing.

I have to admit some fault in the curries that only turned out okish, the book has to take some blame too.
I always get my ingredients ready before hand and cook them how the receipe states. Ocassioanly there are mistakes in the receipes such as ingredienst not mentioned in the ingreidents list. Some times the recipes are just overly vague.

One of my biggest problems is when it tells you to adjust the spices to taste. As a beginner I'm not aware of the impact more or less of a spice will have on the curry. I know the obvious ones like chilli, salt, pepper, lemon. But I have no idea what happesn if I add more tumeric, cardamom ground or pods, mace, turmeric etc.
3 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 8 June 2013
Excellent, delicious curries are yours for the reading! Bought in Jan and haven't looked back. LOVE her writing style, so informative about everything: alternative spice names, tips a friend would tell you... Bought a tefal coffee grinder solely for spices, & we haven't bought any over-priced oily saturday night takeaways since. I 'fry' onions in a little hot water, rather than using oil & onions still brown nicely. Her chicken tikka masala is amazing, the naan bread in under 30 minutes is unbelievable, only today family were demanding more bhaturas whilst tucking into karahi prawns. You do need to love cooking to do these recipes - I tend to double the sauces, or cook 3 servings and freeze 'ready meals'. Worth a trip to your local international food store to stock up - but I have seen things like kashmiri chillis for sale on amazon. These are not 'takeaway' curries - they're more like lovely, home cooked food. Thank you Anjum.
One person found this helpful
on 18 December 2012
My previous curry book was a cheap one from The Works. The dishes were okay but not really good so I decided to look around for a better book. I selected "I Love Curry" based on the Amazon reviews.

I've made about 6 or 7 things from this book. They've all come out very tasty. Before the recipes, there's some handy tips for cooking curries which I found very helpful. For instance, I might've previously stopped cooking onions when they started browning, but this book says to carry on as the flavours get more intense. I can't wait to cook more stuff from here.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 October 2010
I have Anjum's other cook books and have transformed my Indian cooking from using a well known paste, to using roasted and ground spices. If you follow the recipes to the letter, then you will produce the most wonderful multi layered spiced dishes. This book is the best one yet! I spent a morning marking the recipes I wanted to try with post-it notes. and have counted over 30!The recipe for the naan is a new one and will be tried tomorrow.
Anjum is a delight to watch on tv. She also replies promptly to any questions asked on her website. I can't wait to see her back on tv.
9 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2011
I love curry, and have been making it since I was about 11, so its fair to say that I am quite an experienced curry cook. I was bought the book for Christmas, and made a couple of recipes, and it inspired me to buy it for someone else. The recipes are modern, and tasty, and so far, I have really liked what I have made, and she does explain some tips very well, which has improved the way I make curry.

So why only four stars then?

My only major complaint would be that the quantities are sometimes a little small especially if you don't make more than one curry. Anjum's definition of a curry is a stand alone main course dish, yet, say, the Keralan pork curry, whilst delicious, only has 100g of meat per person. My family likes to eat more, especially when it tastes so good! Some of the chicken ones seem a little small too, so when it says serves 4-5, I would say if you have 5 people, you will certainly need another curry, and even 4 hungry people would need more, certainly in my house!

Overall its a great book with good recipes, and I am glad I have it. I have done most of the meat curries and accompaniements in the book now, and have no complaints about the food, they all taste great, and it is a lot more modern than many of the curry books I have bought.
12 people found this helpful