Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 May 2017
A well written recipe book about all kinds of pastry by the Master, Michel Roux. Easy to follow and a nice size of book. A good buy.
on 2 March 2017
Love this book just made sablee and creme patisserie both delicious and so easy to follow the recipe can't wait to try more
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2010
I can cook and bake for a lot of people but I am so rubbish at pastry, this book really made me a pastry whiz. So easy to follow recipes, pastry as light as a feather, rich and crumbly and in some cases with a delicate crunch. Savoury and sweet pastry like you have never tasted before, everyone will marvel at your baking, and I have tried lots of books but this is THE BEST. Well worth the money especially if you like me had difficulty with pastry, but thank goodness no more!!
on 7 March 2011
I highly recommend this book. Not only are there written stages, there are step-by-step pictures to help you along. Truly showing how simple it can be, just with a little practice.
So if, like me you have avoided making your own and buy it. But would like to start and have no idea how, this could be the book for you. Written by Michel Roux, who has been described as The King of pastry. Who better to teach us all.
Admittedly I have yet to build up the courage to try out the filo pastry.
I like pies and have lots of cookery books specifically dedicated to pie making. Making pastry is specialised and can be a bit hit and miss, depending upon handling, oven temperature etc: this book is a pastry course, with just about everything you would want to know and illustrations to guide you through the process. The recipes are absolutely desirable and cover the culinary range from starters to desserts and accompaniments. A wonderful book at a really good price; definitely one to add to your collection.
on 30 November 2012
Having seen and thumbed through this book whilst visiting a friend, I then bought it because it confirms and makes clear many techniques which I have used for years. I know that it is possible to repeat mistakes in home cooking, and Michel Roux is so clear that I trust him completely.There are lovely recipes. Some involve attention to detail, but are worthwhile attempting. It is a book which makes you want to cook!
on 25 July 2010
I love this book and have cooked loads of the recipes - many are absolutely delicious, and I can particularly recommend the quiche lorraine and delicate sablees. I have however had a few problems with some of the recipes not being as "foolproof" as you'd hope: in some cases the quantities have to be amended to work properly which might just be a reflection of the fact that I'm using slightly different equipment for baking but it's still a bit vexing when things aren't cooking up as you'd hoped. Nonetheless, I'd buy it again if I lost my existing copy, and the reaction I get when I cook these recipes is always positive. It's particularly useful for the basics of how to make great pastry, which is probably why you'd want to buy it in the first place, and it really is foolproof when it comes to this.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2010
When this book arrived I was surprised (pleasantly, actually) by how small it is - which is much better than those great big cook books that I have so many of! Michel of course is the ultimate expert in pastry - and his book shows that, but he has written it in a warm and accessible way. I have made several of the recipes (I am a chef by trade) and found the recipes easy to follow, with reasonable success - I just need to practice more! A wonderful book and a must-have for anyone that likes to cook pastry. You'll be surprised by some of the recipes (like cornish pasties) because you wouldn't imagine a french chef making those! I'll be trying those next week!
on 26 October 2011
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was expecting a how-to book of techniques only. Not only is the book that but it's also a recipe book but it's not just a recipe book it's your mum in book form willing you on, telling you the shortcuts and how to get the pastry perfect. It's also got information on sauces and all the different types of pastry you can imagine. This book took the panic out of pastry for me and I am no longer ashamed of my choux :-)

I gave this book five stars because it has everything a serious baker/pastry chef needs no matter what level they are starting at and some tasty recipes to experiment with too. It was a very interesting read and the pictures were superb!
on 25 January 2011
Pastry: Savoury and Sweet A fantastic book from the master of pastry love it got it 2 weeks ago and its brill still trying to master the different forms of pastry baking but its so easy to follow with full instructions you wont be sorry if you buy the book believe me.