Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 January 2010
Trina Hahnemann's follow-up to her luscious Scandinavian Cookbook is a guide to adopting healthy eating habits rather than a diet book per se. I tried the spelt pancakes with blueberries, the mussel, leek and potato soup, the smoothie recipes and her bread recipes and they're all brilliant. You feel healthy eating these dishes without that feeling of being on a diet. In other words, there's plenty of flavour in Trina's dishes! The game recipes all look so tempting, am sad this wasn't published earlier in game season. Definitely a great investment, and I may be biased but I suspect we'll hear much more of Nordic/Scandinavian food over here, thanks to Trina.
on 23 January 2010
Love it, love it, love it. Gorgeous book, gorgeous photos and truly gorgeous food., I have made a number of the recipes in this book and have loved them. Even my very Italian husband has enjoyed the recipes ... and he does not give his approval lightly!! The apple and pear oat crumble is already a favourite in our house. Ingredients are easy to come by - even fresh yeast is available from the bakery counters in supermarkets. I do have a slight bias - being from the northern European background and having a love of baking and cooking "from scratch", but this is a fab book not only from a 'diet' point of view but also, and mainly, from a good food point of view. I have ordered and received her other book 'The Scandinavian Cookbook' on the back of this one.
on 8 July 2010
I have several cook books specialised in Nordic cuisine and this is so far the best one. I especially love the baking section. Shower bun with spelt flour and Rye bread is my favorite!
on 10 January 2015
Still using this book as a guide for my daily diet. Really changed the way I eat as a result, with a vast reduction in meat and increase in fish. Still a work in progress but the principles of healthy eating are excellent.
on 8 February 2010
I came across this book whilst reading an article in the 'Metro' newspaper and it peaked my interest. I'm very much into healthy eating and this seemed to have a unique angle I had never considered before; 'The Nordic Diet'. Packed full of interesting recipes from soups to roast dinners I'm sure this has something for everyone not just the health conscious. The book itself is well laid out with excellent photography. The author is clear and concise. I was particularly interested in the bread recipes and have tried out every single one with great success. One criticism however, is the lack of a pasta recipe as Spelt is much lauded, and in Scandinavia you can probably find Spelt based pasta quite easily, however in the UK I have had no luck in finding any, so would be interested in having a recipe included within the book. Other than that I would definitely recommend this book.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2015
I bought this book a while a go and have tried some of the recipes which are tasty. However I made the coleslaw for the baked fish, I think there is a mistake in the amount of mustard powder to use. I tried a mouthful and cleared my sinuses in doing so. I love hot spicy food but this recipe is too much even for me!
on 15 March 2011
Lovely book. For too long our cuisines have been dominated by a Mediterranean bias. This book and the ingredients it employs, reminds us in UK of the great Northern tradition of foods and the powerful and delicious raw material we can grow in these latitudes. It's time to rediscover some of these wonderful tastes or look again at the cuisine of our grandparents, given an up-dating, and delicious twist by by Ms Hahnemann in a delightful and unpretentious book
on 18 March 2013
I am in love with this book. I started to loose weight thanks to the easy to prepare and tasty recipes. Many of them will be incorporated in my regular recipes. I have not yet started baking bread myself but I am keen on trying that in the near future. I bakes however the "shower rolls" which turned out lovely. Ok, you may spend some time in the kitchen doing things yourself but the result is fantastic.
on 5 July 2010
What a fantastic book...superb recipes, handy tips and great lifestyle advice.

All I need to do now is move to Copenhagen and live the lifestyle to match the diet! Wonderful!
on 1 December 2010
I like this book with plenty of interesting and easy to prepare recipes from the North. If you want to lose weight and want to eat well, here you are. Vegetable, fish, and meat in Nordic combination will never leave you hungry.