Customer reviews

Romantic Cakes
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2015
Lovely well written. Brilliant for ideas and completing recipes.
on 13 June 2016
great book for ideas. The recipes at the back work and are brilliant for large quantities
on 8 April 2013
these books are fantastic great pictures recipes are wonderful all 3 books are fab lots of great ideas easy to follow would highly recomend
on 5 October 2008
I already owned Peggy Porschen's previous book "Pretty Party Cakes", so just knew this one would be equally good. The book has been invaluable as I have made several celebration cakes, and find that her designs are so pretty and she explains each stage with care so it is easy to understand. I always use the different flavourings she describes for the cake mixture, buttercream and soaking syrups, which make such a difference to the taste of the cake. I also found the tables at the end of the book very useful for working out the quantities of cake mixture, sugar paste and marzipan required for cakes / boards etc., especially for my first wedding cake which turned out wonderfully. I also used her instructions for making roses which were very successful. This is always the book I get out first when I am embarking on making a new cake! Incidentally, for the information of the previous reviewers, the butterfly templates are on the back page of the hard-back book.
7 people found this helpful
on 23 September 2008
This is a lovely book but I was glad I got it out the library first. The wedding/stacked cakes are lovely, but make up a small part of the book. The main bulk of it is cookies and small individual cakes, very trendy in the USA who this was aimed at. In short, if you can, reserve it on line from your library first, then make your mind up. If, however, you want a book which mixes cookies, mini cakes and stacked cakes, and gives you a taste of all aspects, then great, order it, because the ideas are lovely in each chapter. I also noticed the lack of templates??
28 people found this helpful
on 19 June 2008
I just received the paperback version of 'Romantic Cakes'. Gorgeous cakes and layout, lovely mouth-watering designs, some of which seem achievable for the beginner.
However - I'm not sure if I'm missing something vital here or am just blind - in the instructions, Peggy Porschen refers quite a few times to templates for e.g. butterflies or roses at the back inside of the book, but there aren't any! Is this a major oversight of the publisher? I assume they might have printed them on the cover for the hardback edition and then maybe forgot it for the paperback one? In any case, I can't find any templates anywhere in the book, which is a great shame.
34 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 November 2008
This book is amazing, inspiration from beginning to end, whether you decide to match the cakes exactly or take parts from each it's fab.

The tuition section is very clear, although I will definately have to build up my skills and practice for much of it.

The sponge recipe is the best i've ever had and divides perfectly as indicated in the guidelines for differing cake tin sizes.

I would reccommend this to anyone looking for contemporary cake, cookie and cupcake ideas or just for a good look through if you love cakes generally.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2009
I adore Peggy Porschen cakes, they are gorgeous and so popular. I have both this book, and the pretty party cake book. I have my own cake decorating business, and regularly use the books as inspiration and ideas for modern wedding and birthday cakes for my clients, and by looking at the step by steps, they understand how much work is involved. I couldnt be without these books, they are wonderful! Recommended to all :-)
2 people found this helpful
on 18 November 2014
Fabulous book
on 25 February 2008
This book is so useful for beginners and experts alike. Before making my birthday cake from this book, I had never made anything more exciting than a basic victoria sponge. The gorgeous designs make you so enthused to bake, I have already planned to make other cakes, and am investing in cake smoothers, different sized tins and food colouring!!! I would highly reccommend it!!
4 people found this helpful