Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2009
This book contains just what I've been looking for, which is good basic patterns for men. Most of the patterns in this book are just that, though in some cases, there's an awful lot of plain stocking stitch to be knitted with an awful lot of 4 ply, which might be tedious for some. The full range of yarn weights is used in this book, though and mostly to good effect.

My husband tends to prefer fleece to knitwear, so is often very critical of patterns I show him, specially if there are too many fussy or gimmicky details. We found a few things he does like, though, which is really something! I'm actually tempted to knit a scaled down, girly version of the chunky cabled cardigan for myself, since it looks really warm and cosy.

I like the fact that the models used cover a wide range of ages and body types. I'd love to see more of this in books full of women's knits, in fact.

The yarns suggested are mostly Rowan, with a few exceptions. There's a couple of dubious yarn choices in there, which don't really seem to work, such as the hemp cardigan, which with the huge amount of positive ease looks like a sack. Since the yarns used were given as "suggested" yarns, I really would have liked to see information about yardage and wpi to aid in making substitutions.

One other bugbear is the reliance on knitting flat. The stripy sweater would work so much better knitted in the round (I really don't like the jar in the stripe pattern between the sleeves and the body) and I just do not see the point in knitting beanies flat. It's not like they're complicated patterns, anyhow.

On the whole, though, it's a great book to have to hand if you're ever likely to knit for men, since most of the patterns look to be easily tweakable to add some texture or a little colour variation.
on 16 April 2010
I don't knit. My wife does.

I bought this for her so she can knit me some deeply unfashionable jumpers and cardigans.

Well, so much for the plan.

The patterns are actually really nice and no-one should feel out of place wearing any of this lot at all (well, apart from some of the beany hats anyway)

Sadly I'm not getting a look in right now. She's knitting some of the stuff for herself! Now you show me a woman that doesn't look better in a blokes jumper/cardigan than a man would ...

Oh well, perhaps next year ...
on 6 June 2013
I originally borrowed this book from my local library , and enjoyed knitting from it so much I thought I'd buy a copy .although this was sent from a British address this is the American version ,so the needles sizes are different and the yarns are called something else .luckily my local wool shop's brilliant
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 December 2008
This is Erika Knight's first book on knits for men. She has created many knits for women. This is a very presentable book of men's knits. All ages and sizes are catered for and different male models wear the creations to demonstrate this. Its a lavishly illustrated book, with superb colour photography.

Like myself, Erika is a woman of perfect finishing techniques, and these sweaters are highly finished. The instructions are easy to follow and size charts are given. There is some two-colour work here, but nothing much in the way of textured knitting, which I feel is detrimental to the scope of the book. There is one cardigan and one sweater with cables, and a cabled scarf - the rest is plain old stocking stitch and rib. This is used well, giving a variety of forms and shapes.

The book consists of twenty jumpers, cardigans, scarves and hats, even a tie to give a capsule collection for men. The introduction talks about different yarns and recommended yarns are given at the back of the book. Techniques are not mentioned, so the book makes the assumption that you can knit. I am not quite sure that the subtitle 'a new direction' is appropriate, as this is not a new style or innovative knitting; I feel that the words rather encompass a new direction for Erika Knight. I'm sure there is something to suit most men here.
on 9 January 2015
one or two nice looking things but a few horrors. Most of the patterns would need to be adapted if you don't want to buy the expensive yarn suggested. Not really for the less experienced.- but I am not passing it to the charity shop yet !!!
on 3 February 2010
I was really impressed with this book. Sometimes I feel that there are many good patterns out there, but less thought goes into the design and layout of the book which can ruin everything.

I felt that there were many patterns for good basic pieces, and was surprised that my husband actually pick some things out of it that he would like - he never likes mens patterns. The chunky cable cardigan is by far the best garment in it, and happy that we can stop scouring vintage stores and just make it ourselves!

I felt the directions were easy to follow and generally what you would expect if you've done other patterns by the author. Like another reviewer, I was surprised that hats are done flat and stitched, but have since used it as a first project for a male colleague learning to knit!

As for presentation - I love it! I appreciate that the models are a range of ages, 'looks' and ethnicities. Also, I think most importantly, each garment is worn styled in a different way on different models. So you can see how the cardigan can work for either a smart or casual look.

Granted I am not a man, but I think this is the best mens knitting book on the market!
on 5 June 2013
I have been looking for a knitting book for men that had classic patterns for quite some time, lovely timeless knits, both for beginners and the more experienced knitter, with yarns that can be easily substituted, the only downside that the terminology is American
on 4 December 2008
This was just what I was looking for - a book of simple designs to knit for the blokes in my house who want everyday sweaters that look modern but are definitely not down the Kaffe Fassett route nor fluffy nor overly loose or patterned nor 'little-boy grown up' etc. I borrowed it from the library first then bought it as I know it will be used several times over.
on 8 December 2013
I have knitted one of the jumpers for my husband in Shetland Lambswool. The patterns are clearly written and easy to do, I would hope that someone who hadn't been knitting for as long as I have would manage them alright.
on 12 March 2014
I had a pattern for a sweater which was given away with a daily newspaper, I had started knitting but was dismayed to find half of the instructions were missing! I knew the patter was taken from this book and had to purchase it to finish of my garment.