Customer reviews

Men's Knits
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2009
This book contains just what I've been looking for, which is good basic patterns for men. Most of the patterns in this book are just that, though in some cases, there's an awful lot of plain stocking stitch to be knitted with an awful lot of 4 ply, which might be tedious for some. The full range of yarn weights is used in this book, though and mostly to good effect.

My husband tends to prefer fleece to knitwear, so is often very critical of patterns I show him, specially if there are too many fussy or gimmicky details. We found a few things he does like, though, which is really something! I'm actually tempted to knit a scaled down, girly version of the chunky cabled cardigan for myself, since it looks really warm and cosy.

I like the fact that the models used cover a wide range of ages and body types. I'd love to see more of this in books full of women's knits, in fact.

The yarns suggested are mostly Rowan, with a few exceptions. There's a couple of dubious yarn choices in there, which don't really seem to work, such as the hemp cardigan, which with the huge amount of positive ease looks like a sack. Since the yarns used were given as "suggested" yarns, I really would have liked to see information about yardage and wpi to aid in making substitutions.

One other bugbear is the reliance on knitting flat. The stripy sweater would work so much better knitted in the round (I really don't like the jar in the stripe pattern between the sleeves and the body) and I just do not see the point in knitting beanies flat. It's not like they're complicated patterns, anyhow.

On the whole, though, it's a great book to have to hand if you're ever likely to knit for men, since most of the patterns look to be easily tweakable to add some texture or a little colour variation.
18 people found this helpful
on 16 April 2010
I don't knit. My wife does.

I bought this for her so she can knit me some deeply unfashionable jumpers and cardigans.

Well, so much for the plan.

The patterns are actually really nice and no-one should feel out of place wearing any of this lot at all (well, apart from some of the beany hats anyway)

Sadly I'm not getting a look in right now. She's knitting some of the stuff for herself! Now you show me a woman that doesn't look better in a blokes jumper/cardigan than a man would ...

Oh well, perhaps next year ...
12 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2018
So many lovely projects in this book. Much too good to be only knitted for men. There are quite a few things I fancy knitting for myself. I haven’t knitted anything from this book yet as it has just arrived.
on 6 June 2013
I originally borrowed this book from my local library , and enjoyed knitting from it so much I thought I'd buy a copy .although this was sent from a British address this is the American version ,so the needles sizes are different and the yarns are called something else .luckily my local wool shop's brilliant
5 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2015
one or two nice looking things but a few horrors. Most of the patterns would need to be adapted if you don't want to buy the expensive yarn suggested. Not really for the less experienced.- but I am not passing it to the charity shop yet !!!
on 11 March 2017
Excellent book in fantastic condition. Speedy delivery too, very happy customer.
on 5 June 2013
I have been looking for a knitting book for men that had classic patterns for quite some time, lovely timeless knits, both for beginners and the more experienced knitter, with yarns that can be easily substituted, the only downside that the terminology is American
on 12 February 2009
At last: a modern knitting book dedicated completely to men!!

This is a fantastically good book - each of the patterns takes a classic knitting design, then gives it a subtle contemporary twist which makes them both enjoyably different to knit and a pleasure to wear. Each of the patterns are well laid out with clear instructions - and are graded for ease (most are fairly simple); there are even simple instructions and explanations for beginners.

Best of all - a full range of sizes is provided for every project: right down to (genuinely) XS and up to XL
on 8 December 2013
I have knitted one of the jumpers for my husband in Shetland Lambswool. The patterns are clearly written and easy to do, I would hope that someone who hadn't been knitting for as long as I have would manage them alright.
on 12 March 2014
I had a pattern for a sweater which was given away with a daily newspaper, I had started knitting but was dismayed to find half of the instructions were missing! I knew the patter was taken from this book and had to purchase it to finish of my garment.