Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 July 2017
Not as exciting as I thought it would be I don't think I'll keep this one.
on 7 July 2017
Quick delivery, it was a gift and was appreciated. Thankyou
on 9 March 2017
Very well written book and full of great recipes. A great addition to any collection, especially for the classics.
on 23 March 2009
The Wolseley is one of my favourite restaurants in London and I have eaten there many times. When I saw this book I didn't hesitate to order it straight away.
This book is by no means some boring cook book, but rather a personal journey. It not only gives the best recipes on how to prepare a mouthwatering breakfast, but also talks about its origins. In the same perfectionist style of this establishment, you are guided from an Austrian Croissant to the ideal poached egg to a real English fry-up. The tone of writing is lively, lighthearted and has that pinch of snobbery in it which distinguishes the country egg from the city egg, if you know what I mean. So for anyone who enjoys class and sophistication this book is a must.
But of course, it can never beat the real experience of dining at the Wolseley...
on 25 July 2008
Gorgeous, gorgeous book. I've eaten at the Wolseley many times albeit never breakfast and this charming little book is just the bees knees! Beautifully presented, lovely pictures, delightful recipes - what more can I say. Can't wait for Lunch, Tea and Dinner. This will rank very high on my next Christmas shopping list.
on 17 April 2014
Nothing in it that is new or particularly inspired, but it is a good read none the less and makes you want to spend some more time over breakfast. Gill is always a good read, funny and sometimes raunchy, a gastronome after my own heart. But don't buy a brand new one, buy it second hand, it doesn't really deserve you to splash out.
on 17 December 2012
This is a thin book, but worth every penny if you like the story of elegant dining service and the history of breakfast in one. Written with wit, it is beautifully printed and makes a lovely gift for anyone interested in good food, the history of breakfast, and fine food service.
on 19 July 2016
A beautifully illustrated book, which glorifies the
traditional English breakfast. It also gives a extraordinary insight into one of our good old traditional metropolitan hotels and has good practical advice about how to prepare many other types of British breakfasts.
on 22 February 2011
I can't belive the overwhelmingly positive reviews of this miserable book, I can only imagine that the previous reviewers were relatives of Mr. Gill. The prose is self-indulgent and goes into far too much detail on what the author was wearing whilst eating his breakfast. Do we really need to know he was wearing freshly ironed white M&S Y-fronts with a navy trim? Do we need to know that his scrotal sac was uncomfortably itchy? And we definitely don't need 42 pages on how to eat fried bread in polite company, which is excessive even if you like fried bread, which I don't. He dismisses black pudding as "far too ethnic", and thinks fried quail eggs are preferable to fried hen eggs. I would advise you to save your money and spend it on a proper breakfast elsewhere.
on 10 January 2010
I actually bought this book as a gift for someone and I have to say, that this is perfect if you're into cultural history, great food, beautiful surroundings and what's more - you are even shown how to recreate the Wolseley's famous breakfast menu!! This quality hardback is written by renowned food crtic A A Gill and is so brilliant I'm even going to get a copy for myself.