VINE VOICEon 16 March 2011
I have yet to buy anything from a Baker & Spice shop (there isn't one near me) but from the glimpses you get from this good collection of recipes then I am certain I would find plenty to tempt me.

In recent months I have been looking for a good guide to working with wild yeasts in my baking and the first section in the book is a pretty comprehensive guide to this increasingly popular art/science. This is, at times, a little unusual - with some additions that purists might question but I am certain that most home cooks will only be worried as to whether things work rather than whether it conforms to some archaic rules.

Alongside the breads, there is a good range of cake, biscuit and savouries recipes to tempt you into the kitchen. Most of the ingredients are readily available and the techniques are clearly explained. I can't wait to try the recipe for the rustic bread with three whole heads of garlic inside - that looks divine. And there are other similarly inviting ideas to consider - many well illustrated with good photography.

If I have one criticism, it is the insistence on using bottled water. I am sorry but, for most home cooks, what comes out of the tap is perfectly adequate for their needs. It might make a slight difference to the end result but it is a tad too pretentious for me to consider reaching for a bottle of Evian or something similar!

Overall this has made a useful addition to my growing collection of baking books - but I don't think I will be following it completely to the letter!
3 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2018
firstly a great book and over the moon to find a copy
Next delivered in great time
lastly and more importantly the book is posted as used and the quality is superb thank you
on 2 August 2013
Not for the beginner but I love it..... I love sour dough but you need an heavy duty mixer for recipes in this book. If you are an expierienced baker in bread making and have an heavy duty mixer then this is the book to get, if not start with The Handmade Loaf by Dan Lepard. Other recipes in this book are good too.
on 15 December 2016
Ecellent Book. Well worth the money
on 27 May 2013
I bought this because I love cookery books. Its a great book and have been trying some of the recipes. I like it so much I'm considering buying some more as Christmas presents for next year!
on 28 April 2013
My wife and I have been making our own bread for years (no machine) but this adds such a variety of baking and is full of knowledge of how and why it works, Much more useful than a telly programme. Dan is the man!
One person found this helpful
on 14 September 2013
Great product, just what I was wanted. I have been looking for this book for a long time and a so pleased to have finally found a copy!
on 6 June 2012
I received "Short and Sweet" by Dan Lepard as a Christmas gift and absolutely loved it - I have tried loads of the recipes (all successful!) and am always browsing through it - so couldn't wait to get "Baking with Passion".

Although, at first glance, it looked a very well presented book I was sorely disappointed. Only one or maybe at a stretch two recipes that I would actually try. I thought it was a little on the pretentious side eg using bottled water when water was called for in a recipe, maybe OK for the serious (and dare I say, pedantic) baker - but not for those of us catering for normal, hungry families who want to fit in a bit (or a lot) of baking between other chores.

For me, it was a complete waste of money while "Short and Sweet" is worth its weight in gold.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2013
I got the book last week after reading raving reviews about it. In particular interest were the recipes for sourdough baking, for which the book was bought in the first place.
I've been baking with sourdough for the past year and my family and I were getting a bit tired of eating the various types of bread I was able to bake using it.
I bought the book after reading several reviews that led me to believe it contained many a recipe for baking with sourdough (pastries, cakes and cookies).
To my disappointment, most of the recipes, except for the breads, refer to yeast doughs rather than sourdough.

I guess I would recommend this book to people just starting out with sourdough - especially getting into the home bread niche.
However, as a vegan, I was hoping I could adjust any recipe in here to suit my needs. It seems that I shall have to look elsewhere.
2 people found this helpful
on 13 October 2004
The scope of this book is exceptional. It teaches you how to make your own sourdough bread without commercial yeast but home-made starters like they did in the old days. Making a bread like that is time consuming, but will have a better taste and usually stays fresh for about a week if it's a big loaf. Next, the auhtor goes on to show you that you can make nice breads with those big irrregular holes and a chewy interior with "sponges" and commercial yeast. Sometimes, italian "00" flour is needed - a strong white flour. I have had no problems substituting ordinary white flour with an acceptable amount of gluten (> 11%). It may not be the real thing or how it was intended, but this will still yield very good breads. The last chapters are about cakes, tarts and cookies.
The photographic quality of the pictures in the book is rather sensational. Nothing like the sterile food photography just for the sake of pleasing the eye. If a sourdough starter may develop a crust, then you will see a photo of a sourdough starter with a crust. Period. The photos really show what it will look like when you do it at home.
My favorites are "Dan's garlic bread" (using three whole bulbs of garlic) and all of the sourdough breads. I haven't had the nerve to tackle the fragile tart or croissant doughs yet. Highly recommended.
39 people found this helpful