• Eggs

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2017
I love it
on 8 June 2017
Didn't know you could do so much with eggs!
on 16 September 2015
A beautiful little book, lovingly written with delicious recipes and gorgeous photos. It covers all the basic how to's with eggs such as boiled, poached etc. as well as recipes where eggs are the main ingredient. It also provides lots of recipes where eggs play a part in the ingredients but aren't the main part of the dish. The book is a great addition to the kitchen with all of Michel Roux's passion for food in a delightful neat little package. The recipes are simply laid out and easy to follow. So far I've only tried the Creme Anglais but I can't wait to try some soufflés and pasta making.
on 16 November 2008
I admit I do a lot of cooking, and consequently find this book easy to follow. I have around 100 cookbooks by many chef's, from Delia Smith (Safe and easy 1st time recipes) to Thomas Keller (Loads of practice needed, but worth it).

Michel Roux's "Eggs" is one of my favourites, and superb for filling in a rainy Sunday morning. Every recipe I've tried from this book has taken my cooking up a level in flavour and texture, with the only limit from perfection being my own inability in presentation. The book covers the versatility of eggs superbly, with a myriad of applications included - and the explanations are excellent. Never before have I been able to cook a Scotch Egg with the egg perfectly cooked instead of a bullet in the middle of a sausage. The Pasta recipe is just sublime...
on 28 April 2008
Okay, time to put jokes about egg powder and egg sarnies aside. I wouldn't want anyone thinking of buying this book to be put off as this is quietly a work of total genius. And actually that's the thing about the egg. It is a bit like the potato in that way - a humble, simple ingredient - but it can be used in so many delicious ways. It's a perfect food. If you only have an egg in the cupboard then you have a meal. And in this book Michel Roux exploits the egg oeufre (apologies...) to the maximum - from eggs as breakfast, as comfort food, as elegant dish, as bit of cheffy brilliance. But I quite disagree that his recipes are tricky. Yes, he might throw in the odd technique, but all that requires is a little bit more attention, nothing a regular kind of a cook like me can't handle. And the results are so worthwhile! I defy anyone to not become addicted to his scrambled eggs - do it once, and you will never again have to endure overcooked, grey, rubbery scrambled eggs. We are talking silky, eggy perfection on a plate. Please, I urge you, if you want to eat simply, but well, for the rest of your life, all you need is a copy of this inspired and authoritative book on your cookbook shelf.
on 4 March 2012
This is a really great book, full of ideas for exciting things to do with eggs - just the job as we've recently started keeping hens. I'm enjoying eating my way through it!
on 4 June 2014
As with all Michel Roux's books this little book is full of recipes that you won't have come across before - not always the easiest but usually guaranteed to give excellent results if you follow the instructions (and Michel's general guidance). Lots of ideas for savoury and sweet dishes from simple to more complicated. The book is very well illustrated and if you've ever wondered if you really have a small / medium or large egg - then look no further than the introduction. For me this is a kitchen classic.
As a joint-founder of 'Le Gavroche' (along with his brother Danny), Michel Roux has a long-standing reputation as a first-class chef. Although the restaurant has since dropped to two Michelin stars, Roux's reputation remains thoroughly unblemished- the balls-up having occurred shortly after he made the regrettable decision to pass the reins to Michel Roux jnr, his bumbling nephew!

Anyway, to the recipes! I had high eggs-pectations but it's no eggs-aggeration to say that this eggs-pansive literary eggs-position eggs-udes in-eggs-tinguishable eggs-ellence! Roux's eggs-traordinary eggs-actitude of eggs-planation is eggs-emplary and its el-egg-ance cannot be eggs-tolled highly enough. Indeed, the eggs-uberant recipes are eggs-pounded eggs-plicitly enough to be readily eggs-ecuted by both d-eggs-trous eggs-perts and in-eggs-perienced b-egg-inners alike- with scant need for eggs-perimentation or eggs-tensive eggs-trapolation. While one needs some eggs-otic ingredients (to add to r-egg-ular ones, like or-egg-ano, nutm-egg or vin-egg-ar), eggs-amination reveals that none but the most eggs-clusive eggs-amples demands an eggs-orbitant level of eggs-acerbated eggs-penditure. While there are many pre-eggs-isting t-eggs-ts on eggs, Roux's eggs-tremely eggs-haustive l-eggs-icon eggs-hibits that eggs-tra level of eggs-travagance, s-egg-r-egg-ating him from other eggs-tant eggs-ponents (without egg-ception). The eggs-quisite results are pure egg-stasy!

Anyway, I b-egg you to eggs-cuse me if I have become r-egg-rettably over-eggs-cited and gone to a n-egg-ative d-egg-ree of egg-cess, in eggs-pressing myself! If you r-egg-ard this egg-regiously eggs-troversive eggs-ploration as having been eggs-cruciatingly eggs-asperating then you'll feel eggs-ultant to know that I've just about over-eggs-erted myself. I shall not eggs-tend these ren-egg-ade eggs-ploits any further. No, I'm not going to d-egg-rade my int-egg-rity by eggs-tracting any more dr-eggs, before making an egg-ceedingly eggs-pedient eggs-it. Frankly, this egg-centricity has gone beyond the yolk!

PS. Rumour has it that Roux has been contemplating a follow-up to this success, but only time will tell whether a second venture into the world of eggs would be wise. Let's hope that he doesn't find himself suffering from the notorious "difficult second 'albumen' syndrome"!
on 27 October 2009
This book is a MUST. There is go way around it.
It has the best recipe for meringues. My family couldn't believe how light they were.
The hollandaise sauce is something else.
The best. And it's very easy to follow the recipes.
Thank you so very much Mr. Roux. Give us more please.
on 25 August 2014
Great book if you want to know how to cook eggs and master your skills in the kitchen. Michel Roux doesn't disappoint. My husband now makes the best omelette in the world:))