Customer reviews

Simple Crochet
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 March 2011
I suppose I am a beginner/improver in crochet, and I have found this a very attractive and inviting book, making you want to get started on one of the simple projects which look absolutely stunning. The first project is a circular cushion made from balls of string! It looks stunning and would be very hard wearing. Something that would require more of an investment is the leather thong floor cushion. Again, this looks fabulous. There is a chevron cushion, and I have always wanted to do a pretty and dramatic chevron design. (And it doesn't look sixties and dated, but up to the minute). To see how a rag rug could be made out of material scraps is also an inspiring sight, using scraps of linen/cotton material (though I won't have enough scraps for ages to do it. Having said that, the book does say to use outgrown and outworn clothing.). The use of colour in the rag rug make it so stylish - very understated. A floor runner, again using string for the main part, (and a subtle edging using linen coloured yarns, would be so practical for outside entertaining, or a very user-friendly table runner for day to day. I also found it so interesting to see how I could make containers for bathroom items, and a pretty crochet edging for a plain hand towel. There are some nice throws of different designs, and instructions for a string shopping bag, made out of polypropylene string from a hardware store, (which has become something so desirable in order to avoid using the plastic carrier bag). This book will definitely help me get more versatile at crochet.
on 18 June 2007
The first impression of this book is that it is meant to inspire beginners with its stunning combinations of colours and textures. As a beginner myself I was also drawn to it for its no-nonsense black and white instructional photos and modern projects (although there are slight lapses with the string bottle covers and towel edging). For being able to teach me to crochet I would give it 5 stars because I've been crocheting like a mad woman ever since.

However, many of the projects are using Rowan Yarn; Beautiful and expensive yarn. There are some projects in the book that I think most people who own the book will never attempt because they need £70 - £80 worth of yarn (namely for the throws projects), which seems odd for a beginner's book to have. On the other hand there are some stunning projects using everyday string, lengths of fabric and raffia which helps the reader think out side of the ordinary.

Despite having projects I will never attempt I love this book. I love the photography and the clear instructions. It's lovely book to browse through and the projects generally have a lot of mileage. I know I'll keep making the string market bag for years to come.
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 August 2012
I bought this book after learning to crochet from online videos and a friend. I wanted to do a basic household item as my first project so thought this book was ideal. Nope. Firstly, the way she does stitches are different from what I have learned, and the very first pattern is complicated with increases, decreases, and joining in colour, while working in the round. Hardly "simple" for someone who has just learned the stitches to do a flat project. The second project is another cushion, using (what she calls) treble, double, and 3 treble together, as well as using multiple colours. Again, hardly simple.

Crochet is easy to pick up - easier than knitting, in my opinion, but this book just makes me frustrated. I don't even think I would use it when I am more proficient in crochet - the projects are quite old fashioned (ie a string bag, a tea cosy, table mats, and towel edging)
on 12 February 2014
Must find time to tackle more. I have picked up knitting for the first time recently and was surprised at how much I had forgotten. However, it lead me to want to learn how to crochet and this book has certainly been inspiring, better still the suggested items to crochet have modern, interesting designs. It isn't all teacosies and cushion covers.
on 28 December 2009
I love this book. I don't think it's old fashioned in any way (the cafetiere cover is a little different but why not keep your coffee hot?) and actually I think it's quite easy to follow the patterns. But that's just my opinion! I have several crochet books and alot of them I bought based on the reviews. I have been disappointed with several (it's not the first time I have come across a cafetiere cover and the others have been really sad) but this book is simple, clean and classy.

Good luck and I hope if you choose to buy it you enjoy it too.
on 19 November 2014
Never done much crochet before but inspired to do more by this book with easy to follow instructions and practical projects. Cheap options for yarn (string, offcuts of material) make things affordable. I'm a keen knitter but these things get finished much quicker than my knitting!
on 20 October 2016
had borrowed a friend's copy and wanted my own. Just need more hours in the day to crochet now!
on 3 December 2017
on 24 July 2016
Very simple and easy patterns but with style. Delivery was as expected
on 13 December 2016
Very pleased with patterns excellent service