Customer reviews

on 28 August 2009
I really was not expecting too much from this book but I was very wrong. (In fact, the only reason I bought it was because the same person kept on recommending this book on every forum on here and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about - easily swayed person that I am!)

A story of a wayward boy accused of something he did not do who professes that he will do something about it and does, this intermingled with the tale of girls who grew up together and how their lives have panned out makes for facinating reading. All the characters come together in the end in a fabulous fashion. It is a gripping tale told with humour and depth.

I wonder how long it will take someone to pick up this book, read it and turn it into a really successful film - it must be done soon, it will certainly be one to watch.

Now Mrs Bigg, time for your next book - as soon as possible please.
on 30 April 2015
A page turner right from the start.
on 15 May 2009
I bought this book expecting a bit of chick-lit. In fact what I got was a truly brilliant novel that I couldn't stop reading and even though it was quite long I finished in three days. Afetr the first few chapters where the characters are introduced which seems quite light hearted and funny, I was plunged into a dark and disturbing murder where I felt I was actually there. From then on the pace was fast and all consuming. The author mixed a rare humor in with a really emotional tale of human life that really makes you feel like you are inside the book, rooting for the characters. I totally fell in love with poor little Connie whose life is a living hell. I wanted to jump inside the book and rescue her.
There is a realism that is disturbing and the story really puts you through every emotion going. A really fantastic book that gets better and better until it gets to a completely shocking and sad ending that somehow manages to be positive at the same time.Murderers will suddenly have your sympathy. I cried my eyes out!
Brilliant, but don't forget your tissues.
on 15 May 2009
Wow! Not what I expected at all!
This was a random buy 'cos i loved the cover. However, I can highly recommend this book. It frequently sounds like the voice of a male writer although the author is female.

It is ballsy and brilliant and after a very short time throws you headlong into disaster and doom from all angles but is also very funny at the same time. Characters range from sad to completely rotten to loveable and it's a real page-turner, you never know whats coming next.

High on shock factor it's not for the light hearted and at points you need a strong stomach. But humour is found in most things in the book, even disaster and it moves from nasty to poignant and sweet at every turn, keeping you riveted.

It starts with a vicars family, a couple of friends from up North and a prostitute. A murder sends the vicars family into a tailspin and then things really hot up.

If you like gritty urban drama, mixed with murder, wrongful prison senteces, revenge, a lump in your throat AND lots of laughs, this is the book for you.
on 11 May 2009
'of vicars and tarts' is a truly gripping tale - it has you jumping from one emotion to the next as the story unravels, showing the grittier side of life....unexpected and full of surprises, it will have you laughing and crying at the same time. beautifuly descriptive text, absolutely fantastic, i thoroughly recomend this book !
on 12 June 2009
You are chucked headlong into the lives of these characters in the first paragraphs - they grip you and don't let go even after the story has reached it's dramatic and satisfactory ending. They are incredibly vivid, rich and gothic and all very believable. Angela Carter comes to mind - a world that is ours but louder, brighter, darker.
The storyline moves at a breathtaking pace and the author is not afraid to tell it like it is.
I could not stop reading it last night was not able to sleep until I had finished - so beware do not start too late into the night!
Read this - you won't regret it.
on 23 August 2009
This is so imaginatively written. The way the words flow drag ans innovative descriptions drag you kicking, crying and laughing into the heart of all of the characters which have been sewn into this intriguing tale.
Initially a story of murder and intrigue, this is a story of family bonds, loyal friends, and captures the spirits of people across all generations.
Dark, witty, sad and all in all a cracking good read.
I am at a loss now, having read this. Come on, Mrs. Bigg, where is the next novel??
on 7 July 2009
I purchased this book on a Twitter recommendation of all things! And what a great surprise. The characters just gripped me. They were so well written and when the story jumped between the characters you straight away became involved in their part in the tale.
Initially I was put off by the title. Dont be! This book is not fluff and is not crude either. It is an amazing story that captures the lives, loves and tragedy of the participants.
I look forward to more from this author
on 14 September 2009
I bought this book on the strength of another review about it on Amazon, which rated it very highly. I was not disappointed. The author has managed to create characters who we can identify with and who have very human qualities. The pace of the story does not let up, and the story all comes together at the end, with some surprises. I would highly recommend this book
on 17 May 2009
I loved it!!!!
All the ingredients essential to a good read, i was hooked from the start. Well written and structured, it kept me coming back for more. A clever mix of pure fantasy with a dose of real life for good measure.... well developed characters and witty, sexy, funny and tragic plot lines...what more could one want! Pure genius.