on 19 May 2013
This is a superb exposition of how technology changes our world over the longer term in a series of cycles lasting roughly 60 - 80 years. The theories are all explained in simple and easy to understand language, and appended with clear examples.

The current cycle that we are experiencing started in 1971, so depending on when you were born you might find this to be a revelatory text, explaining much of what has happened over the course of your life. In my case for example, as a 40 something, that's my entire life encapsulated as the 1st half of one cycle. Moreover, we are now at the most challenging and important part of the cycle when the fundamental underlying realities of our society need to be radically overhauled, primarily through intelligent governance. If you want to understand how the various power groups of the world are intersecting across the capitalist playing field, right now, this book is essential reading.
on 23 December 2015
I think the author's objective is very interesting and there is definitely a need for a book of this scope to follow up on Schumpeter's framework. Academic economics generally has very little to say about innovation and it is treated as an exogenous parameter ("it just happens"). I found the first part of the book, which focused on the structure of innovation, very useful and it definitely helped improve my thinking on the topic (5*). The second part, which focused on the finance of innovation, was not as strong in my view (3*). I fail to see any further contribution beyond what Kindleberger had to say. The link that the author develops seems superficial in my opinion. I was also expecting to see perhaps an in-depth treatment on the special role of Venture Capital or government military research funding. The author's model of innovation is promising but more work is needed.
on 24 April 2014
If you work in technology you must absolutely buy this book. The entire thing is a brilliant tour de force in finance meeting technology revolutions.
on 4 January 2016
Really nice and a quick delivery
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse