Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2010
I really enjoyed this latest book from Hitchens. I am relatively new to his work and was keen to learn more about his life and the path he travelled to arrive where he is today. Extremely funny in places, I loved the chapters about his "comrades" Fenton, Amis and Rushdie. Certain chapters were a little 'over my head' but this was purely because I did not have a great knowledge of some of the political events in which Hitch was involved / wrote about. But on the whole, it was a great read and one which I found very hard to put down once I had started!
on 31 March 2013
This biography (of sorts) details the road to the final incarnation we came to know as the 'Hitch', a man, in his own words; 'more handsome than a man had a right to be'. Essential reading for anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together.
on 16 April 2012
I wasn't surprised after reading the first chapter that I felt enthralled by Hitchen's writing style and openness. The way he describes his perpetual battle with mortality, religion and brilliant contemporaries is brilliant. A true genius of our time.
on 16 June 2011
With such an interesting, varied and informed life under his belt it is no surprise to me that Christopher Hitchens memoir would be an excellent read. First-class analyses of world events of the past 4 decades, these events that leave us with the world we have today and the continued struggles of so many countries.

Brilliantly paced in chapters beginning with his formative years up to 2010, I'm fortunate to buy the print-run with the foreword detailing his 'state of play' at the moment - what are the words to say for the strength of folk who have their paths so paved ....

Would recommend this book to any thinking, caring person who enjoys an educated and reliably true read.
on 13 July 2016
An interesting insight into the genius that was Christopher Hitchens
on 20 August 2011
I have read very little of Hitchens' work apart from a few Vanity Fair articles in which he confronts the cancer he has been diagnosed with.

I know him more as a media "personality" and member of the London literary club of authors - Rushdie, James, McEwan, Amis etc - who love to write about each other when not writing about themselves.

Hitchens has marketed himself well and is now a regular on the US media trail.

He has also cleverly raised his profile by using atheism as a weapon to attack Moslem fundamentalists and the religious right in the US at the same time.

This enamors him to his politically correct Guardian and NYT-reading fans and allows him to keep up his leftist credentials.

The fact is that he is a product of the English public school system and got where he did through his contacts among the Establishment he claims to oppose - Cambridge, Oxford, BBC etc.

Read a few pages of this and you will see that he certainly did not achieve his present position through his writing talent. This memoir is so tedious, badly written and overlong that I abandoned it half way through.

Hitchens is an egoist who is under the impression that the reader is interested in everything he has done, everywhere he has been and everyone he has ever met.

He boasts about jokes and put-downs he made, obscene doggerel verse he wrote, what he said in school debates almost half a century ago and even claims that Margaret Thatcher spanked him with a parliamentary order-paper.

He is so self-centered that he spends several pages dissecting the differences between "Christopher" Hitchens and "Chris" Hitchens.

For all this, he comes across as a buttoned-up product of his class who has difficulty in expressing his emotions other than in a flippant way.

One wonders if an editor saw this manuscript before it was published or if the publisher rushed it out as a celebrity product rather than a serious piece of writing.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2013
I bought this book as a gift for my son, he wanted it as he is a fan of Chris Hitchens, he tells me that he is very much enjoying the book and will be passing it onto his friends when he is finished with it.
on 2 August 2014
Great A++++++++++++++
on 3 April 2013
I enjoy Hitchens when he's raving about faith, but I tired of "my valued friend, a much missed friend, dear, dear Martin. It's name dropping 101; to the extent that many claims of having inspired a poem or at the least being present if not integral at the inception of a philosophy or article or thought. Boastful though it was, this over thinking primate does admit to having been wrong or changed his mind on some issues and that in itself is enough to justify reading it.
on 30 June 2010
This is a book to be sampled, not read through. At times H can be quite interesting, but he is never far from sinking into lengthy discussions of his political views and how they have changed. The book is in places, even some entire chapters, entertaining despite the frequent longueurs.