Customer reviews

And Man Created God: Kings, Cults and Conquests at the Time of Jesus
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 August 2014
This book was given as a gift to me. I had previously seen it in glancing and been put off by the title.

However the 3 chapters on Christianity are quite exceptional, well-researched and beautifully written.
Some passages beg to be read aloud they conjure up such an interesting and colourful 1st century world.

On the development of the christian message and Paul's part in it, I thoroughly agree with the author's excellent analysis.
My only quibble is with the title with which I disagree. We can all agree that Paul was a catalyst and made the gospel appealing to a Gentile world, but for me his inspiration and vocation are rooted in Jesus Christ's selection of him.

This book has certainly intrigued me to look further into Jesus' 1st century world.
on 7 February 2017
As I think others have touched on, the potentially fascinating premise suggested by the title (which I took as "how humans invent religions") is absolutely not covered by the book, and the dull sub-title is accurate - it's a curiously arranged general history with some interesting stories of no relevance to religious development. I'm not knowledgeable enough to rate the history content, but it is readable enough. In terms of my satisfaction it gets 1-star but that's unfair as I so wanted it to be about creating religions that I didn't look more closely.
on 8 December 2016
A fantastic read. I massively enjoyed this book and learnt a lot of new stuff. I would thoroughly recommend this books to anyone with an interest in history or religion. Genuinely readable, O'Grady's knowledge is clear and her enthusiasm shines through. Fully deserved 5 stars.
on 25 March 2016
The best thing about this book is the title. There are whole chapters of filler which have nothing to do with the subject. And, as others have pointed out, the author has little to say about hos Christianity became a new world religion. That's probably because she doesn't know.
on 18 May 2014
Excellent book, well researched and put together. Provides a novel view on the beliefs of the civilisations of Africa and Eurasia at the height of Rome's power.
on 15 August 2013
I enjoyed this book, well written and researched and with a vast scope it will be of interest to anyone curious about life at the turn of the 1st century A.D.
on 4 December 2013
Very informative; particularly on historical detail. Should be a recommended read and a topic for discussion in every sixth form or sixth form college.
on 12 October 2013
I have not finished reading this book, but it clearly shows that religions have been falsely weaved into what they are today by those seeking to use "religion" as a tool to control the masses.
on 7 February 2015
This was recommended by a Canadian friend and is waiting on my Kindle to read as a comparison to Fields of Blood.
on 9 February 2015
The title is misleading - but it remains a terrific easy-to-read study.