on 25 January 2011
Ms Armstrong is a former nun whose first memoir, Through the Narrow Gate, I've enjoyed reading (twice). I've been rather wary of reading her other books as she no longer identifies herself as a Christian and I know my weaknesses. I'm easily led, especially by a persuasive piece of writing. Curiosity won on this occasion and I'm very glad it did.

The Bible is not an easy read. I read the Kindle version and was very glad to have the integrated dictionary to help me. Even so, I had to re-read some parts, look words up more than once, and still accept there were bits and pieces flying over my head. I don't see this as a failing on the author's part, however - she's writing for a scholarly audience and pitches her vocabulary and argument to suit.

Ms Armstrong traces the development of what we know as `The Bible' right through history, piggy-backing her narrative on the history of Islam, Judaism and Christianity. Throughout the book, she shows how the Bible has shaped these faith and, indeed, how they have shaped it. She finishes with a stinging criticism of modern-day fundamentalism to which she offers a sane-sounding alternative: The Bible should be read with those of other faiths and, most importantly, with charity.
on 8 May 2017
If like me you're a layman then it's best on Kindle version as unless you are aware of the glossary of terms used in Jewish and Christian analysis of scripture you'll need a computer by your side. The inbuilt look-up function was very helpful. Once you have the language understood this is an interesting view on the formation of the modern Bible and the complex changes in the use and interpretation of it over time. It's helped me understand why some of the contradictory behaviour in modern religious practice has come about. Well worth a read.
on 13 August 2017
A well researched account of the entire life of the bible,with all information fully annotated. If the reader is familiar with the bible it makes it much easier to follow its history. It is not the author's intention to promote her own opinions but an honest presentation of the facts concerning its life.
It will be a shock to many people but a real revelation to many more. I feel I understand it better than previously, probably because it was in line with my own thoughts!
on 5 December 2016
you need a magnifying glass to read this copy of Karen Armstrong's book! Printed in ridiculously small script to reduce the number of pages and save on print costs, this version is a trial, not a pleasure to read!
on 1 March 2017
Karen Armstrong has a unique ability to both interpret this most difficult of topics while at the same time being able to write a compelling text that carries the reader along. She is a remarkable talent that can only educate everyone that takes the time to read what she has to say.
on 21 June 2017
Excellent reference and very readable.
on 14 August 2017
very interesting and well written
on 21 July 2017
Quite hard going in some places, but stick with it.
on 5 December 2016