Customer reviews

Magical Thinking: True Stories
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 January 2008
After finishing Dry, which I enjoyed immensely, I eagerly opened up this book. This one was a bit of a disappointment. Actually, I'm reluctant to criticize these stories, because what I really like about Augusten Burroughs is exactly what I didn't like in this particular book. I like his caustic wit. I like his honesty. I like his neurosis. I like that he sees the trees instead of the forest sometimes. However, some of these stories are just really boring. Some of them are funny. Some of them are less funny but have some really hysterical parts. Some of these are just like journal entries. . . and these are the stories I found to be a waste of time.

For instance, when Augusten writes of Dennis, he writes with such love and affection that, had there been an actual story to tell, I would have really enjoyed reading that. But, at least two-- maybe three stories-- were just about the author's intense love and affection for this man. That's okay and all, and I'm happy that the author has found happiness, yet it is a bit boring to read for the reader!

Additionally, there was one story where Burroughs steps on a baby's hand and moves away without explaining to the mother why the baby is crying. The mother thinks the baby wants a toy and scolds her instead of comforting her. Maybe this is funny to Burroughs-- who openly admits he's a bit of a cad and not too paternal-- but it's really cruel. And, although it might be funny if seen on Seinfeld, it's definitely not endearing and definitely doesn't arouse any empathy for the author from the reader. Neither does the cruel way he kills a mouse. Although the comments he makes after talking to a plumber WERE hilarious.

I wouldn't recommend this book, but I do recommend Running with Scissors and Dry. I am awaiting my copy of Selevision, as well. I haven't given up on reading any other books he comes out with.
on 5 October 2009
Auguesten Burroughs is a favoured 'gift' author - when you receive a book you've never heard of from a book-loving friend and have to just sort of smile nicely for. But you can immediately see why people are so keen to spread the literary love in his short stories. These are light, witty, frequently poignant and always funny pieces that must be rationed or else you could, quite happily, read the whole lot in a night. Though Burroughs' novels are written in the same style and exude the same strengths, it is within the microcosm of short stories that he really shows a mastery of story telling - and casually at that.
on 14 May 2014
Wonderful stories... nicely written.... enjoyable.....
This is a good introduction to Mr Burroughs work and if you like it then you should read the others.
on 28 March 2016
on 23 June 2015
Very amusing...
on 28 December 2010
This collecton of short stories were the first audible books I brought. I listen to them while doing housework and they are so, so funny I found myself looking for more things to clean and tidy so I could keep listening. I have yet to find anther author who is so funny that I keep laughing out loud like this, He has even helped me to see the hilarity in lots of everyday events I would thoroughly recommend!
on 19 March 2009
I started out reading this with mouth somewhat ajar, never having heard or read of Augusten Burroughs. Once I got used to some of his incredibly plain speaking and thinking opinions, I discovered how achingly funny he could be. I thouroughly enjoyed the self-deprecating and self conscious ramblings that are organised neatly into easy to digest chapters. If you have ever had the fortune to find and find funny David Sedaris, then you will also enjoy Magical Thinking. Funny and at its heart a rather endearing love story. I bought everything he had written straight after reading this.
on 15 February 2006
This book like most of his others is absolutely fantastic, you don't want to put it down and when you do it's only for a second when you have to swipe your oyster at the tube station. Hilarious book, and keeps you interested all the way through. It has many different stories from throughout his life so very easy to digest although I advise you read this last of his books as there are a couple of extracts that have been repeated although I was not tired reading it a second time. If you have never read his book then I recommend you make a purchase and if you have read one of his other books and enjoyed it I recommend you purchase all his books because they are all just as brilliant as each other.
on 20 July 2005
This is the first - but certainly not the last - book I have read from this author. It is a collection of autobiographical short stories which represent small snippets of his life experiences, written about in a hilariously crazy way. The way his mind works seems to pour itself onto paper in a fashion that is very enjoyable to read. His experiences are not that amazing in themselves, it is his angle on them and his reactions to seemingly banal occurences that make one laugh. His writing style is a little Hunter S. Thompsonesque due to his opulent use of vocabulary. Because of the short story format it is easy to read for people with a short attention span or not much time on their hands. The result was that I was kept fixated and interested and read the book in one day.
on 26 April 2009
I Love this book!
It's laugh out loud funny, edgy, honest and blunt.
Though Buroughs' life experiences are unique, extreme and ( ought to be) disturbing; his writing style is so engaging, insightful and utterly redeeming, one can only be hugely grateful that he had this life and was inspired to write about it.
Thanks, Augusten.
You are excellent medicine for all the wounded-but-excellent creative misfits of this world!