on 22 December 2005
I was given this book as a gift and it was as good as i thought it would be. the columns were originially published in the Guardian on Saturday but it is great to have them to pick up and read at any time. It's the perfect book to take on a train journey as you can dip in and out of it and disturb other passengers by laughing to yourself.
This is a wonderfully amusing, and attractive, book. Ideal if you like your humour gentle and softly sarcastic.
on 19 November 2004
Perfect present for the difficult to buy for and the easy ones too.
Great looking book crammed full of laughs on everyday topics. Browning hits the nail on the head every time with his observations on real things other people just don't write about like sheds and handbags, fighting for the duvet and how to manage with big ears. Something for absolutely everyone - best book I've picked up in ages.
0Comment| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2005
Not five stars, as I preferred his other writing, however still really funny. Browning writes about the things which everyone thinks but nobody says... Like the times you are in a public changing room and you find it hard to change in front of people you don't know - so everyone tries unsuccessfully to slide their clothes on underneath their towel which is wrapped around their naked body!
The book is full of short (2-3 pages) "How to...."'s in different chapters. It is a really good "in-between books" book - and also you can read one chapter and come back to another later as there is no order, and the chapters do not have to be read together to make sense.
Highly recommended as a gift, or for yourself if you want a laugh!!
on 5 September 2005
Wow! This book is a great find for anyone with a decent sense of humour. It's packed full of wit about every daily-life subject under the sun. The author finds the comical truth in many every day topics and this makes it applicable to just about everyone - delightfully unusual for a humour book and perfect as a gift for friends and relatives though I warn you - you won't want to part with it once you've got it. You'll find yourself laughing til you cry as you spot yourself in section after section: 'ramblers travel in packs and are always led by a man or woman with a beard and a big knobbly stick. He's known as Ramblo.' And, with searching questions like 'why anyone ever used a cut-throat razor is an absolute mystery; it's like driving a hit-tree car or wearing a make-baby condom.' Almost every sentence in the whole book makes you smile til your jaws ache and it is no wonder this book has been the talk of the town. Can't wait for the next one....
on 20 January 2008
Mildly entertaining, i.e take on a short flight or train commute, it won't keep you interested for much longer.
on 27 September 2004
If I am being truthful the thing that first attracted me to this book was the cover (pretty pictures and colours). Then when I read the title I was really drawn in. I purchased the book as it looked like it would be light reading plus it was written in short sections so it would be easy to dip in and out of. I started to read the book on the bus on my way home but soon had to stop as I realised I was getting funny looks of my fellow passengers. This was due to the fact that I was laughing out loud. I have never read Guy Browning's column "How to" so to me this book is a revolation to me. His obsevations on the mundanities of life are often hiliarious and I'm sure we've all pondered some of the issues ourselves but never shared them in the fear of being thought stupid.
A great book that will chear you up no end and make your life feel a little bit brighter.
Maybe the next series of observations should be called
"Why you should....judge a book by it's cover."
0Comment| 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2006
Published by the Guardian and based on a Guardian column, this is probably the ideal present for that Guardian reading colleague you need to buy a gift for, but don't actually know very well. It is gentle harmless middle class humour - short essays on on day to day middle class dilemmas - (picked at random) how to read a Sunday paper, how to have neighbours, how to eat sweets, how to mingle etc. It is a pleasantly amusing book to dip into, but hardly a classic. Buy it as a gift and spend a couple of evenings dipping into it before you wrap it up.
on 22 June 2005
I stumbled across this book while browsing Amazon, and thought 'what the hell, I need a laugh.' It certainly gave me one!
Broken down into little segments makes for easy reading, and the humour is consistant all the way through. I laughed out loud several times. It's not a taxing read, but it's fun and a good way to escape for a little while.
My only problem with the book was the paper it is printed on. It felt rough and slightly cheap. But all in all, a good little book.
on 8 October 2004
Guy Browning always manages to be funny and true (eg Men love women because they are the loveliest creatures on God's earth. Women love men because chocolate can't mow the lawn).
He's always coming up with the most unexpected analogies and comparisons which blow your hat off. This collection tells you how to do the most bizarre things for the most sensible reasons. I loved it.
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2006
This book really made me laugh and even my husband, not in the slighest bit bookwormish, roared with laughter as we read it together. A easy book to pick up and set down and read whenever the mood takes you. Will instantly cheer a sullen demeanor.