Customer reviews

Running With Scissors: A Memoir
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2017
Not my sort of novel. I could not connect with the characters or the slovenly and haphazard upbringing of a boy and his view on his real and adopted family members
on 21 June 2017
Absolutely love this book it had me in stitches al the way through
on 17 July 2017
Funniest book I've read for a long time.
Some of the scenarios will resonate with most families - or is it just mine!
Great read, laughed out loud at every chapter
on 26 April 2012
My first time with this writer on a recommendation. Well written and spiked with black humour. But I didn't always feel comfortable with attempts to create one shock upon another making me feel I was being pushed down life's toilet bowl. Indeed coprophilia is not left untouched. Despite the excellence of the writing, I began to feel the author was laughing at my expense. What character indignities, incredulities and prurience can I create for my reader in the name of black humour? So in the end I became inured to the explicitness, the older man seducing a youth, the excess of eccentricity and the comedy slowly waned. I have been given the follow up and will give it a go out of politeness to the giver. A lot of readers will like the book and dive wholeheartedly into it lapping up the torridness of a life. As for me - yeah, ok - writing first class but do I want to read page after page of life's comedic awfulness taken to its extremities? Not on the day I read it.
on 26 July 2017
I had to get another fix after reading Dry. This is a different read, and I've had tears laughing at the part where they sang in the mental hospital, I haven't laughed at a book this way in years. Auggie is my new and most favourite writer. You get everything, brilliance! Thank you xxo
on 12 March 2017
It's extremely witty, and really colourful and vibrant. The ending felt a little abrupt, but perhaps that's because this is a real-life account, and real life isn't neat and doesn't have satisfying resolutions. In the epilogue, I wanted to know more about what happened to the author. All in all though, very enjoyable.
on 12 January 2015
Very strange book, picked it after a friend's recommendation - probably great as a reading group book (since heard it has great reviews and a film version...) - makes you appreciate a "normal" upbringing.... It's the author's memoir of a highly unorthodox upbringing (to say the least) - probably best for the open minded - entertaining & highly unusual read. (And you can't really criticise the storyline when it's real!)

Think I need to find out if there's a sequel...
on 9 August 2013
This is a very adult book about childhood, you have to keep reminding yourself that throughout this period of his life the writer was a young boy / teenager. I love quirky but did not laugh out loud at the events. I understand that it contains some gallows type humour but the subject matter is serious, I didn't get the feeling that the writer was laughing much through this period. It is an interesting, thought-provoking read, some great one liners and insights. If you are looking for a read about a very unusual family then this fits the bill.
on 28 December 2014
I loved reading this book. It opened my eyes to damage a parent can do to their child, and how their lifestyles can have so much of an effect on them. Burroughs and his life dramatically changed throughout the period he lived with his psychiatrists family, and although it is filled with dark comedy and laugh out loud moments, the memoir behind it, is truly both harrowing and heartfelt.

To finish reading this review go to http://www.kirstiekinsblogs.co.uk/2014/12/running-with-scissors-augusten.htmlt
on 4 July 2010
Running with Scissors is a quick, easy read and as such is worth a look if you're after a memoir detailing how horrific a child's life can be. There are plenty of shocking moments in this book (particularly surrounding his older lover), but the whole thing is written in such a detached, uncaring way that you are left wondering how the author actually feels about these things. There were no laugh out loud moments for me but I still enjoyed it. I imagine there are better books out there in the same genre though, so maybe look around before opting for this...