on 4 January 2001
This is a fantastic book which I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone taking a tour around the western highlands and islands of Scotland. Even though I'm from Aberdeen, I bought it for our honeymoon to Skye and Oban as even we Scots know little about the attractions of our own country and it's the kind of book which is not just aimed at international tourists. It's now the most dog-eared book I own, with many of the pages bringing back memories of our trip. Full of no-nonsense information on accommodation and restaurants, it is matter of fact and absolutely invaluable. It is uncompromising, with the authors being decidedly straight-talking in their reviews of places which they felt had little appeal. It enabled us to plan day trips to places of interest and navigate our way around the isles, making sure we missed nothing. Buy it before you go, use it to make travel arrangements and be sure to take it with you everywhere you go on your trip. Bargain buy, won't date quickly, simple to use. Get it on your bookshelf now!
on 28 October 2001
We purchased this book prior to our honeymoon visit for 2 weeks on the Isle of Skye , Sept 2001.
We have used the Rough Guides before on trips to the Greek Islands and appreciate the variety of information available. This book is useful for pre planning your trip to the Highlands & Islands but is also indispensable on a daily basis also.
It really opens up the wide variety of interesting places on Skye and the Highlands while giving you essential travel information and useful reviews on where to eat and places to visit. Once again the Rough Guide series has proved itself the most reliable and consistent guide book for the traveller, whether he be hiking or staying at he best hotels - there is something for everyone in the usual clear and concise manner. If your are looking for one book - buy this one !!
on 2 April 2009
This book contains all the necessary information you will need in this area. The maps are detailed enough to navigate but if you are planning to conquer the hidden places you will need a lower scaled map. It has recommendations for food and accomodation near the site what you are visiting so you don't need to find the location of a restaurant from the list at the end. I recommend this book for the usual traveller who is looking for the commonly visited places.
on 20 August 2008
Essential wide-ranging comprehensive eye-popping information packed guide

Put it like this - if you're going anywhere covered in this book then you probably won't need any other book.

Recommended.
on 30 November 2010
Bought this book for a trip to Oban and Mull and it proved its worth. All the usual positves about Rough Guides apply: it's pithy, frank, informative and above all helpful. The descriptions and pictures of what else is on offer in this beautiful part of Britain mean I want to go back with this volume in tow ASAP.

Bear in mind however that this most recent edition of the book which I have actually consists of the sections on the Highlands and Islands excerpted from the larger Rough Guide to Scotland. To the best of my knowledge (and I did compare them closely when I got the books out from my local library) this book contains no new or extra info.

So if you are going to places other than just the Highlands and Islands, you probably want the one-volume edition. You'll get everything on offer here and more. Otherwise, if you're heading just to the H and I's then this slimmer volume still comes warmly recommended by me.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
on 10 August 2009
We used this book while Island hopping in north West Scotland. It was excellent and struck just the right balance in terms of detail v. brevity. If you're going to do the same I suggest that you put a copy in your case.
on 29 January 2011
I find the rough guide series is always pretty reliable and gives some great tips for places to stay and visit. We bought this as we were planning a trip to Oban and the surrounding areas. It offered some good suggestions and was quite useful in the lead up to the trip. However, I do wish that they would perhaps include more maps with places of interest as it's quite a lot of text to route through sometimes.
on 3 January 2011
We used this book before and during every day of our recent holiday to the Highlands and Islands. Informative and packed with need to knows, I learnt very early on that this guide does not heap praise on a location or establishment very easily. If it says something is great - you will agree, and if it says somewhere is sadly lacking - then you will find it so.
on 10 September 2010
Perhaps there's a clue in the title of the book, but as I'd hear such good things about the 'rough guides' I thought I'd give 'em a try.

I was looking for a tourist guide to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland that included information about off the beaten track tourist attractions, nice pubs and good restaurants etc.

I think I managed to gather more information myself from the internet than this book offered.

This book really is a ROUGH guide. A bit like it if I asked where is New York, I think the guys who wrote the book would point in the general direction of the North American continent!

I'm sure the city rough guides are great, but I wasn't impressed wth this one.
on 8 April 2011
Readable guide but nowhere near as useful as Scotland The Best by Peter Irvine. I've tried all the major guides, found them all good but Irvine's guide is the only one I carry now.