on 14 July 2008
I purchased this book for a recent trip to Italy and I couldn't have done without it.

The menu reader was excellent as was the section on travel. Many Italians were just impressed I tried.

Many of the words were also put into useful phrases and the more difficlt words were spelt out phonetically for ease of pronunciation.

I would reccomend it for any trip around Italy.
on 25 May 2009
We took this guide with us on a two week road trip through Italy and found that the lay out was very useful with the different sections and the phonetic pronunciation encouraged us to speak the words with more confidence than we would with a normal dictionary. Unfortunately we gave up using it after a while as we found that words on the menu were not in the book and there were words that the Italians themselves did not know, such as mosquito repellent. I would not depend on this book alone and would recommend using it in conjunction with a proper dictionary.
on 10 June 2008
This is a very useful (& compact) companion on a trip to Italy.

The book is compartmentalised into useful sections (split in alphabetical order)such as Banks, Car Hire, Restaurants etc.

It also has a reasonably sized English - Italian section with some key phrases already mapped out & the corresponding Italian - English version as well.

Perhaps best of all is the 19 page "menu reader" which should help you either get what you want when you go to a restaurant or at least understand what is on offer.

There are some elements for the more advanced user who has perhaps forgotten many of Italian's grammatical features in the "How The Language Works" section.

Very good value & well worth the investment.
on 22 October 2009
I bought this for our recent trip to Rome. We had no prior knowledge of Italian (I have a Latin 'O' Level from many, many years ago) and this 'Rough Guide' provided all the essential words and phrases we needed.

OK, in a city like Rome, English is 'la lingus secondo' and almost all the restaurants we came across in the heart of the city have menus in Italian and English, and yes, you can get your burgher and chips, just don't go to McDonalds, you'll miss out on some freshly made food.

This little book gives you everything from apple to zucchini and leaves out the bits you don't need. If you're planning on waterski-ing, don't buy it but if you want more than just to survive, it's a must.

I could write a lot more but I think you get the message.

Ciao,

Pete C
on 10 September 2009
This little book was very handy on our recent holiday in Sardinia. The menu and drinks section were particularly useful. It is a good size to carry everywhere. Will certainly be using this book again.
on 29 October 2009
This was invaluable. We used it most for translating menus and road signs. Would definitely recommend!
on 14 October 2010
I studied italian for GCSE and since leaving school (8 years ago) havent been practising! Oops!
I got this to remind me of the language when I go to Rome next year.
It is a good little book. Great for me as I had basic knowledge!
It will help me out and impress the boyfriend when I'm out there!
on 13 May 2010
Being fortunate enough to be visiting Italy later this Summer, this book is exactly what I wanted and needed - at the very least it will help me have the good manners to at least be able to 'please' and 'thank you' etc in Italian.
on 26 November 2013
Very handy short & small booklet to learn basic Italian. Small enough to fit in your luggage or shoulder bag & very good value for money.
on 21 October 2012
Seems to be totally geared to the american tourists and would not cater for Europeans learning Italian or visiting Italy.