on 21 November 2006
A truly informative guide; what Mr Hall doesn't know about British cult comedy could be written on a very small postage stamp. Very authorititative and written in a clear, honest style, the book does well not to fall into the trap of parodying its own subject matter. And like the best of books, I found myself chortling to myself at some of the passages.

One small criticism - why oh why is there no entry for Rod Hull and Emu, quite possibly the best post-modern bird-man routine the world has ever known? That shocking omission has cost Mr Hall a star.
on 13 November 2006
I have always followed comedy and love nothing else than going to my local comedy club on a Saturday night...but i realised my knowledge of classic cult British comedy was severly lacking when i read this book!

It's incredibly well written, well thought out and informative...and i've learnt loads of interesting facts and info on some of my favourite British comedians! Eddie Izzard being mine and my boyfriends favourite stand-up.

The perfect stocking filler! I couldn't recommend it highly enough!
on 2 November 2006
A brilliant insight into the origins, major influences and current players of the British comedy scene. Funny, well written and full of genuinely interesting info. I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend and ended up reading it cover to cover myself. Highly recommended.
on 13 November 2006
This is a template for everything a good guide should be. It is an excellent starting point for comedy virgins at the same time as being a great reference source for the initiated. The Rough Guide to British Cult Comedy is an invaluable aid for anyone who is thinking of venturing into, regularly attends or lives in a UK comedy club. It's a pretty comprehensive guide to the very best of television comedy too
on 8 November 2006
Rough Guide and Julian Hall have provided a brilliant addition to the literature on comedy. Its breadth and detail leave few stones unturned. It's great to have such a volume covering the best of British comedy.The references to some of the 'older' comedians and sitcoms was particularly nostaligic.
on 8 November 2006
"I think that the most important thing about this book is that it bigs up some of the unsung heroes of the comedy circuit and not just the well-known names. I really enjoyed the anecdotes in the book and I only wish there were more!"
on 10 November 2014
The contents of this Rough Guide are determined by the author's definition of 'cult', which not everybody will agree with. For one thing, anything done before 1974 apparently doesn't qualify as cult (bye, bye, Flying Circus!). For another, the author uses his own predilections to (dis-)qualify things as cult or mainstream/poor (I happened to love the first two seasons of Coupling!). On the other hand, since reading it I have binge-watched two of the series that did make the cut (Phoenix Nights and the Royle Family) and not been disappointed, so the guide does fulfill one of it main purposes - exposing the reader to material they weren't aware of.
on 5 February 2012
I enjoyed this book both as a reference book and as a reading book.

Very well presented. Excellent content and edited in a way that makes it easy to read as a book from beginning to end, with interesting text boxes on various subjects.

The entries contain info about availability on DVD which is nice.

The only problem is that it made me buy much more comedy DVD's than I originally intended ... :-)

A must for any British Comedy fan.
on 5 December 2006
An incisive and well researched guide, suitable for both the hardened expert and the complete novice. Everything you could ever possibly want to know about british comedy is covered. And lots more you never knew you wanted to know. Buy it now or regret it!