Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 2 November 2007
Okay, I have not completely read this book, but I did leaf through it for two hours, which I guess gives me the right to review it. It is an awesome book. It lists down 800 directors since the beginning of film that must be watched. What must be watched of course is always debatable but to my taste, you can't get any more thorough than this. It even lists new directors like Neil Marhshall and Park Chan Wook. Even the Filipino director, Eddie Romero, known for his Blood Island movies are here.

I plan to buy this book, highlight all the films/directors I want to watch, write reviews of the movies I have seen, put in post-it directors that have not been listed... Basically it will be a living book. Hopefully Rough Guides will update it regularly.

I have bought the Rough Guide to Cult Film and Cult Fiction before, and the were not that good. This book is a must-have.
What do you guys think of this book?

I can't wait for other enthusiasts to pick it up.
An A-Z of directors, guides to their best films and lists of best genre titles, plus informative short articles on various subjects. The only thing I'm not getting from this particular rough guide is that crucial element of passionate enthusiasm, that intoxicating subjective response, which makes you want to leap up and rush out to buy/rent the film you're reading about. A glossary would have been helpful, and a greater emphasis on leading legendary actors, if possible. They're the people, for better or worse, that audiences really remember. Maybe some more convenient way of linking directors/themes/actors/locations, along the lines of 'See also x,y and z.'

Still, good to dip into from time to time and for getting another pov.