on 3 March 2010
This is brilliant, just what I needed. I've been trying to find where my ancestors lived, but the addresses just seemed not to exist.I found one straight away on the very first look at the book out of the packaging, and I'm looking forward to going through the rest tonight. The book is nicely printed, and the 'old' look coloring to the pages adds to its charm. Great value.
on 26 February 2009
Wow. From the moment I first opened the A-Z I found it the clearest street mapping I had ever seen. The clear and easy to read layout of the streets makes it. Also the Index of Streets and selected buildings has no end of use. There is a Theater map of the West End; List of Hospitals and Medical Institutions; and Full Index of Tube and Rail Stations. Full (2 page) London (and surrounding areas) Rail Connections and another (2 page) Full Tube Map inside with a quick reference on the back cover. Well worth the money.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2009
I am so pleased I bought this. A good trip down memory lane to see where my parents and grandparents lived when they were young. Very good value for money. A nice little bit of London history.
on 1 October 2007
a very good atlas, good handy size, easy to read reference, and clear and up to date road/station/building points. bought this for use in the car and has not let me down. thought it might be squishy in between pages, but isnt at all.
on 6 September 2003
I know its the usual London A-Z formatted book - but this version is very SIMPLE to use, CLEAR in print and very EASY to carry around.
on 26 December 2008
Every Londoner should own this book, and should buy an updated version whenever one is available. Street-by-street maps and information get you where you need to go, whether you've lived here a week or a lifetime. Easy to read (even I can understand it, and that's saying something), and handy to carry, the A-Z is a must.
on 18 February 2009
I bought this atlas because I was fed up with our old copy - being hardback and well-used it fell apart and was held together with sticky tape. Needless to say the use of a spiral wire for the spine (nicely finished in the Bauhaus style with a white, plastic coating) solves that problem entirely. Also the atlas is well-weighted, fits in the hand and can be easily folded back to display a single page at a time. A minor usability issue is that roads tend to get broken at the edge of the page; however I've developed the work-around of either moving my eyes to the adjacent page or flipping the atlas over to reveal the next page. Sadly this is less effective when moving vertically off of a page and so for the time being I've restricted myself to travelling horizontally. Apart from this though this is a top-notch atlas that contains all of the streets that I know of in London.
on 6 August 2012
I got this to aid my Family research project. So many of the streets that they lived in in North London have now disappeared. This book complements my old Ordnance Survey maps by putting names to the streets. The streets and names are all there and the census forms and house moves they made now make more sense.
on 8 May 2009
This is one of those books where to hold is to want, but you're not sure why. It's a facsimile reprint of the first A-Z London Street Atlas, printed in 1939. And it's a facsimile even down to the yellowing pages, with authentic browny spots and stains. But what use is it? Well, as a Londoner you can look up where you were born, where you live, where you used to live, that sort of stuff. It has those little one-page maps of shops and cinemas, many long gone, where you might remember buying your first...I don't know, or seeing that film where Isabelle Huppert took off her...well you know the sort of thing. There's a sweet fold-out Pictorial Map of London, with little 3D building on it stuck in the back. I liked the comprehensive annotated list of places of interest too, from which I learned that the London Museum used to be in Lancaster House by Green Park. This section also contains a list of London's City churches, with asterisks by the ones which survived the Great Fire; but this list itself would soon need revising as the Blitz was just a few years away. A more arcane pleasure is the list of the streets renamed with the coming of the LCC (London County Council) which was done to rationalise confusingly similar streets which were confusingly near to each other, or not. So, a book of incidental pleasures, but a sweet little thing, in its handsome slip case.
on 25 January 2014
I bought this hoping that it would help me with my family history research. Maybe I was unlucky in the streets I chose to look for but some were not even in the index and some that were in the index I could not find on the map, even using a magnifying glass.