Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 October 2012
I am fairly new to stitching, having dabbled as a teenager but am now coming back to it. There are some wonderful projects here - the cushions I particularly like, and the simple greetings card decorations, and all the daisies. The explanations of how to do each stitch are clear and unfussy, and there are templates and charts to help you. I also love the way the instructions are set out a bit like a recipe, with a clear list of things you need for each project. It feels modern and yet you also get the sense that you are following in a long line of women who have been quietly creating and stitching for centuries - there is a lot in this book that made me think about heritage and tradition. Unlike other reviewers I haven't read Ms Brocket's other books but now I think I will. I think this book will keep me happy during the long winter nights ahead, whether I am actually doing one of the projects or just curled up on the sofa reading it.
on 13 November 2012
I own all of Jane's other books, as well as following her colourful Yarnstorm blog and was really looking forward to the publication of this one.
After reading some of the other comments on this page, I would have to agree that this book is, perhaps, not as good as some of her previous work (The Gentle Art of Domesticity and the Gentle Art of Quiltmaking are wonderful!) I am an experienced stitcher and did find a few of the projects a little basic and uninspiring. However, this was balanced by the addition of some truly gorgeoous ones - especially the Crinoline Lady quilt, the Crazy Patchwork cushion and the Suffolk Puff quilt. Jane's style of writing is relaxed, chatty and easy to read and I love the way she always incorporates lots of interesting facts about the craft.
If you are a beginner, there is a lot of useful information about the materials and supplies needed and, as always a trademark of Jane's books, lovely colourful styling.
All in all, a nice book to have on your bookshelf.
on 1 October 2012
Owning all of Jane's other books and having long followed her blog, I ordered her 2 new books and looked forward to their arrival.

This book is not up to her usual standard. The items to make are very simple and not very inspiring and if you read her blog you will recognise many of the pictures and projects.

If you want to see her at her best, The Art of Domesticity is greatly superior.

Really disappointed - sorry Jane
on 14 July 2013
I had this book as a birthday present and it certainly doesn't disappoint. I love the projects contained within the book and will certainly be trying some of them out, mainly as embellishments to my own projects. I want to try the lovely vintage embroidery which looks simple but so effective. As a lifelong dressmaker I have never bothered with embroidery, as garments and soft furnishings etc are my usual projects but this book inspires you to have a go at the relatively simple art of embroidery, so wish me luck, I will try to be neat this time, I just love the daisies. I will try to update this review when I've completed a project ot two later in the year.
on 5 October 2012
I am a bit disappointed. I will only take away a few ideas from this book and usually with Jane's books, I want to make everything. I thought that some of the items seemed unfinished e.g. the hexagon quilt, the suffolk puff quilt. And then there are lots of pages devoted to one quite simple idea e.g. the button cards. I'm sorry Jane, I've loved everything else you have done and I think that Vintage Cakes is wonderful.
on 8 March 2013
This book has very simple stitching projects. Mainly running stitches. Nothing more complicated than that. It is a beautiful book,and I might attempt some of the projects.
on 4 October 2012
Having previously read and been inspired by The Gentle Art of Quilt-Making I was very pleased to discover this book continues in a similar way. It's full of lovely projects, all of which use simple stitches very effectively to create beautiful and useful objects from cushions to quilts. Would definitely make a lovely gift for the gentle stitcher in your life, I for one can't wait to get sewing!
on 27 July 2016
I first saw this book in our local library, and knew I wanted my own copy.
It's a delight to read, and is full of great ideas and inspires one to start sewing.
I think it would make a great present, it is a beautifully produced book.
on 17 June 2013
Perfect for my daughter who has recently got into needlework. This book contains some unusual and traditional projects ideal for something out of the ordinary.
on 3 October 2012
Since the Gentle Art of Domesticity, I have found Jane's books to be colourful, informative, very well written and above all entertaining...this new addition is no exception, well done Jane!