Customer reviews

on 14 June 2017
Easy to follow recipes great selection fun to use and very tasty and satisfying results
on 3 December 2012
Does just what it says on the cover. I am quite new to baking, so wanted something that will start with simple bakes, to build confidence but also have more adventurous things to try when I have more skills. This book covers all those points well.

Clearly laid out information and at the back of the book lots of information on finishing your bakes. Icing cakes, piping techniques.

A great investment and one I will turn to again and again. A great companion to my new Kenwood Chef 'Kenny' as I like to call him, as I could never bake this well before him.

This is a beautiful book and has pride of place on the coffee table, where I can get to it to look through with a cuppa in the evening, to choose what to make next. Not too intimidating if you are a newbie, highly recommended.
on 28 December 2012
I have checked this out constantly from the library for about 3 months, and so my partner cleverly bought it for me for Christmas! It is such a wonderful treasure trove of recipes, great for beginners, but also for folks like me that have been baking for years. A great collection of cakes, muffins, just about anything you can think of to bake. Worth every penny!
on 26 January 2012
This is a fabulous baking bible. Perfect for beginners who don't own a baking book as well as old hands like me who own many. You maybe able to get recipes elsewhere and in other baking books but that's not really the point - this is a comprehensive collection - all in one book. From brownies to whoopie pies to classic Victoria sponges it has the range of modern and traditional recipes. Each recipe has a picture which is great and if the general GH cookery book is anything to go by everything will work like a dream. I love it and my daughter has already got one in her basket! There are chapters on bread, pastry, puddings, tray bakes and biscuits, cheesecakes, celebration cakes and baking know how. Fabulous!
on 16 October 2014
I love this book - brilliant recipes.
on 4 October 2012
I have made a few cakes from this book which have all turned out well. There is some old and new recipes to use so it is useful if you have just started baking. I would recommend this as a present.
on 21 January 2012
Unfortunately there are hardly any new recipes (sweet and savoury baking) in this Good Housekeeping book, most of them can be found in the cookery book or in other GH books as well(I own one other - much smaller - baking book, not that I have all their publications on my bookshelf, mind you).
Of course you can't always come up with a book full of new recipes, but this is just a ripp-off for existing Good Housekeeping enthusiasts.
Otherwise - nice book, recipes that really work, helpful hints, very extensive (not only cakes and cupcakes - also savoury tarts and the like).
on 8 May 2012
First, the good. This book has recipes that work, and work well. Most have very useful tips on storage. There is also a comprehensive discussion of techniques and problem-solving tips. The organisation of the book is good with sections on: Cakes: Traybakes, Biscuits and Cookies: Cheesecake, Tortes and No-bake cakes: Pastry: Breads and Rolls: Puddings: Celebration Cakes: Baking know-how.

So, what's wrong with it? Quite frankly, it is not good value for money, because it is very short on recipes. The book claims to have over 400, but I don't see how that can be. I refuse to count them, but the recipes cover 277 pages. So far as I can see, the best you get is one recipe per page - with several taking up two pages, one of which is a picture. Being generous, I would guess at 250 recipes. These are very standard fare - useful I suppose if you have no other baking books. But, if that is the case, Mary Berry's books offer a better starting point, in my view. The problem is too many pictures and poor arrangement of material. For example, the recipe for bread and butter pudding takes up a whole page, including an unnecessary picture and a lot of white space. The same recipe in my 1970's Good Housekeeping Cookbook takes up a quarter of a page!

This is far from being as claimed "The Ultimate Baker's Companion". With an extra 200 genuine recipes, smaller pictures, and less white space - in short a lot more work - it could be.
on 4 October 2012
I received this book as a present and am really pleased with it. It contains lots of yummy recipes for various cakes, cupcakes and tarts- sweet and savoury, and has loads of gorgeous pics. Some of the recipes are quite complicated, good for a more confident baker. Would definitely recommend.
on 15 March 2014
found this cooking book in the library and i didn't want to take it back! the library wanted the original price 25pounds and when i saw it on here for 6pounds i brought it without no hesitation! i saved so much money with this cooking book. now i make my own cakes, pizzas, bread and cookies. this is a must buy if you are new to baking and it will make you an expert when your done!
Happy Baking!