on 17 September 2014
I was so disappointed with this book. I bought it to show me how to make interlined roman blinds. You are not told what equipment and materials are needed for this task.

You will not get any inspiration from the poor photos that are circa 1990's. Page 33 shows you a simple curtain heading. It uses the incorrect colour thread and should not be shown as an example.
It doesn't show you how to miter corners .....

If I had seen the book in a shop I would never have bought it.
on 29 April 2017
Very Basic
on 4 April 2011
This book is written in a clear and easy to use manner. Photographs and instructions are easy to follow. It deciphers the glossary of terms used in curtains and drapery, and has simple step-by-step instructions on how to calculate the amount of fabric required. Also has helpful tips on considerations for type of curtains/drapes according to window types. All in all, a very good book and very good value.
on 14 March 2013
I bought this book specifically to find out how to make interlined curtains. The diagrams are (in my opinion) at best basic and at worst confusing. There is not enough explanation of each step in advance. The diagram for step 2 shows a rectangle box with a single dividing line down it and a needle and thread placed over the middle of the line. How this is meant to be useful I don't know. Mr Men drawings are practically fine art compared to these.
As for roman blinds, it only shows single layer type blind made using roman blind tape, and doesn't explain lined roman blinds, or how to make your own casings instead of using the tape, or if you wanted blackout lining where that would go,for example. The diagrams for these are even more Mr Men-ish, if that's possible. I gave up after that. Sending it back. Oddly it has very clear, colour photos of equipment such as a pair of scissors, roll of thread, pincushion etc at the back. It would have been better to leave those out and concentrated on decent pictures of the actual steps.
I have given this book two stars instead of one as I haven't looked at the other examples - have wasted time looking at the two I actually wanted to learn about. Giving the book the benefit of the doubt maybe the other examples are better.
In short I feel this book has confused overly simple drawings with simplicity. This is my opinion but given the good ratings it has received from others, perhaps I am the odd one out.
on 5 December 2012
I borrowed this book from my local library and have found it so useful that I am placing an order for this today. Why is it so brilliant? As a complete newbie to sewing, by following the clear and concise instructions in this book, I have managed to sew a pair of thermal interlined curtains for my children's awkward bedroom window. Now given that I had quotes of around £200+ to have this made (no ready made ones would fit)I think that is a massive saving for me! And it has encouraged me to now try making a blind for my kitchen window using a more expensive fabric.

The book is a slim book, yet packs in all you need to know without the ruffles and fluff found in other curtain books. The latter actually do not contain (in my humble experience) enough sewing instructions for a complete newbie like myself. This book not only contains step by step pictorial instructions on how to make different types of curtains and blinds, but also a simple explanation and instructions for the various equipment and techniques necessary. Only on one occasion did I get slightly confused, but this was quickly rectified by cross checking with a How to video on youtube. My mother who is an experienced tailor has found this useful as a refresher.

So if you're looking to make curtains this book is an ideal place to start. I have to say though, if you are looking to make the 80's style fussy, frilly pelmets this isn't the book. It concentrates on clean modern lines.
on 25 April 2011
This is a really good book, the instructions are clear and easy to follow, and also can prove to be inspiring if looking for some new ideas. The pattern matching instructions were especially useful to me.
on 20 May 2014
I love this book, I always thought blinds are to difficult to make, how wrong I was. This book makes it look so easy. Great pictures and diagrams and clear, easy to follow instructions. A must have.
on 20 February 2011
This book takes you through the different ways of dressing your windows, different types of curtains and blinds, window trims, tiebacks etc. There is an introductory chapter which goes through the different styles of windows and which dressing suits them best. There's also advice on choosing the right type of window treatment, the right fabrics and fittings.

The chapters on curtains and blinds give you step by step instructions on constructing the different styles along with large colourful diagrams and photos. At the end of the book there is a chapter on equipment and techniques.

This book is a useful guide to anyone looking to make curtains and blinds. It's easy to follow and gives you all the basics.

This review first appeared on The Sewing Directory.
on 2 June 2014
Although not as comprehensive as other books on the same subject, this was a fairly simple and easy to follow introduction for novice sewers. Bear in mind that as the title indicates, it is for fairly simple projects. It gives advice on what type of curtains or blinds to choose for different types and size of window, and there is information about poles, rods and other fittings. The illustrations and photos are quite small though, while there is a lot of blank space - surely the beginner, at whom this book is aimed, would benefit from larger illustrations.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview Kindle copy.
on 6 September 2013
I find this book is be an excellent reference for beginners entering into the foray of curtain making. However, the reason I did not award it five stars are some of the illustrations, that some were considered to be downright confusing. Colour photographs would have been better choice rather than a drawing with its awful colours, but if for budgetary reasons a drawing had to be used for that section, a simple annotation of the drawing, would have been easier to read. For example on page 44-45, giving instructions for interlined curtains, I did become quite confused at first and could not make head or tail of the diagrams, but I slept on it had anther look at the picture and had the 'lightbulb'/eureka moment - it was showing the fabric attached to the table by a clamp!!! Hahaha!! So I annotated the drawings in my book, indicating the fabric, table, ruler, fabric clamp, floor - yes I did really!! And then I found it much easier to understand the other drawings.