Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 December 2012
I borrowed this book from my local library and have found it so useful that I am placing an order for this today. Why is it so brilliant? As a complete newbie to sewing, by following the clear and concise instructions in this book, I have managed to sew a pair of thermal interlined curtains for my children's awkward bedroom window. Now given that I had quotes of around £200+ to have this made (no ready made ones would fit)I think that is a massive saving for me! And it has encouraged me to now try making a blind for my kitchen window using a more expensive fabric.

The book is a slim book, yet packs in all you need to know without the ruffles and fluff found in other curtain books. The latter actually do not contain (in my humble experience) enough sewing instructions for a complete newbie like myself. This book not only contains step by step pictorial instructions on how to make different types of curtains and blinds, but also a simple explanation and instructions for the various equipment and techniques necessary. Only on one occasion did I get slightly confused, but this was quickly rectified by cross checking with a How to video on youtube. My mother who is an experienced tailor has found this useful as a refresher.

So if you're looking to make curtains this book is an ideal place to start. I have to say though, if you are looking to make the 80's style fussy, frilly pelmets this isn't the book. It concentrates on clean modern lines.
on 4 April 2011
This book is written in a clear and easy to use manner. Photographs and instructions are easy to follow. It deciphers the glossary of terms used in curtains and drapery, and has simple step-by-step instructions on how to calculate the amount of fabric required. Also has helpful tips on considerations for type of curtains/drapes according to window types. All in all, a very good book and very good value.
This book takes you through the different ways of dressing your windows, different types of curtains and blinds, window trims, tiebacks etc. There is an introductory chapter which goes through the different styles of windows and which dressing suits them best. There's also advice on choosing the right type of window treatment, the right fabrics and fittings.

The chapters on curtains and blinds give you step by step instructions on constructing the different styles along with large colourful diagrams and photos. At the end of the book there is a chapter on equipment and techniques.

This book is a useful guide to anyone looking to make curtains and blinds. It's easy to follow and gives you all the basics.

This review first appeared on The Sewing Directory.
on 25 April 2011
This is a really good book, the instructions are clear and easy to follow, and also can prove to be inspiring if looking for some new ideas. The pattern matching instructions were especially useful to me.
on 14 March 2013
I bought this book specifically to find out how to make interlined curtains. The diagrams are (in my opinion) at best basic and at worst confusing. There is not enough explanation of each step in advance. The diagram for step 2 shows a rectangle box with a single dividing line down it and a needle and thread placed over the middle of the line. How this is meant to be useful I don't know. Mr Men drawings are practically fine art compared to these.
As for roman blinds, it only shows single layer type blind made using roman blind tape, and doesn't explain lined roman blinds, or how to make your own casings instead of using the tape, or if you wanted blackout lining where that would go,for example. The diagrams for these are even more Mr Men-ish, if that's possible. I gave up after that. Sending it back. Oddly it has very clear, colour photos of equipment such as a pair of scissors, roll of thread, pincushion etc at the back. It would have been better to leave those out and concentrated on decent pictures of the actual steps.
I have given this book two stars instead of one as I haven't looked at the other examples - have wasted time looking at the two I actually wanted to learn about. Giving the book the benefit of the doubt maybe the other examples are better.
In short I feel this book has confused overly simple drawings with simplicity. This is my opinion but given the good ratings it has received from others, perhaps I am the odd one out.
on 6 September 2013
I find this book is be an excellent reference for beginners entering into the foray of curtain making. However, the reason I did not award it five stars are some of the illustrations, that some were considered to be downright confusing. Colour photographs would have been better choice rather than a drawing with its awful colours, but if for budgetary reasons a drawing had to be used for that section, a simple annotation of the drawing, would have been easier to read. For example on page 44-45, giving instructions for interlined curtains, I did become quite confused at first and could not make head or tail of the diagrams, but I slept on it had anther look at the picture and had the 'lightbulb'/eureka moment - it was showing the fabric attached to the table by a clamp!!! Hahaha!! So I annotated the drawings in my book, indicating the fabric, table, ruler, fabric clamp, floor - yes I did really!! And then I found it much easier to understand the other drawings.
on 17 September 2014
I was so disappointed with this book. I bought it to show me how to make interlined roman blinds. You are not told what equipment and materials are needed for this task.

You will not get any inspiration from the poor photos that are circa 1990's. Page 33 shows you a simple curtain heading. It uses the incorrect colour thread and should not be shown as an example.
It doesn't show you how to miter corners .....

If I had seen the book in a shop I would never have bought it.
I purchased this book for my wife as she is completely new to sewing and was hoping to try and adjust some curtains in our house and then, as she gains more confidence, perhaps have a go at making some blinds. I purchased this book for her hoping it would give her all the information she would need to do this, and I have to say we’ve both been a little disappointed.

The main issue with the book, for her, is the diagrams and descriptions are a little complex for a novice sewer. My wife and I are both office professionals used to reading instructions (and long legal contracts!), but despite the simple layout of the instructions they still make for very confusing reading which can be a little off putting. It also assumes a lot of prior knowledge / experience with sewing, for example one paragraph introducing roman blinds “cut and, if necessary, join material”… this might be ok for experience sewing people like my mother in law, but my wife and I are rabbits in headlights here and do not know how you would go about joining material??

Further to this the images in the book do seem a little dated and are not as inspirational as I feel they could be.

All is not lost though, one of the strengths of the book is the advice it gives in ‘selecting an appropriate window treatment’, telling you what you considerations are such as window positioning in the room and radiators etc. So whilst we didn’t buy the book for this reason it has been a bit of use, but sadly not as much as we had hoped. So the quest for a proper ‘how to’ sewing machine book continues. If new to sewing I would not recommend this book.
on 22 May 2012
VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND. BUT I DONT FIND CURTAIN MAKING DIFFICULT ANYWAY ..SOME HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS..WOULD SUIT A NEWBY TO CURTAIN MAKING ITS SO EASY TO FOLLOW ..
on 26 November 2015
An amateur at curtain making I have just come back after a number of years absence from this skill. Therefore purchased a number of publications to refresh my memory. Gave this book 4 * as, while it covered a comprehensive range of topics, some of the instructions were rather intricate and vague in description.