on 8 May 2012
This is the book that started me on quiltmaking after I had been put off by what seemed fearsomely complicated rules and techniques. As with Jane Brocket's other books, this book is a feast for the eye, and with plenty to read - not an endless series of diagrams and complex instructions. The quilts are beautifully photographed, and I particularly liked the fact that everyone of them is in a flat, full spread photo index at the back so that you can really get an idea of the whole design. Brocket discusses her choices of fabric and colours, and the sources of her inspiration, in great detail, with lots of photos of quilts as well as colour inspirations, etc. The construction of most of the quilts is essentially quite simple, although there are some which are slightly more complex geometrically, or with small pieces, which would be more demanding, so it is a great book for a beginner, but with something for those who are more practised at quilting, but are looking for inspiration and ideas.

There are clear instructions as to how to calculate quantities for fabric, binding, backing, wadding, etc, and although the quilts come in varying sizes, the reader is also told how to adjust these sizes. In fact, the first quilt I made using this book for guidance was a cot size one - demonstrating that Jane Brocket's methods and ideas for quilting are simple and easily transferable. There is no mystification of technique - I had always found the idea of hand quilting quite scary, but thanks to this book I have found that it is really quite easy, and that you don't need to have the facilities to machine quilt. I think what I have gained from this book is an encouragement to have a go, not to get hung about skill and technique, and to enjoy the creative process and be brave enough to think outside the box.

So if you want a beautiful and inspiring book to look at, enjoy thinking and reading about the creative process, and are feeling daunted by all those quilt books with jigsaw puzzle diagrams, then this is the book for you. However, what you won't find is a lot of technical detail about the various methods of patchworking, and there is nothing on handpieced hexagon (traditional English) patchwork, or detailed instructions for the complex geometrical block type of patchwork. This is not a criticism of this book - there are plenty of books out there covering those areas of quilting, and Brocket does not claim to be working in those fields - her book is quite different, and a refreshing and individual demystifying take on a very rewarding craft.
7 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2011
I am sure that many quilters are just like me. I have a huge collection of fabric - every time my main supplier had a special offer I just had to buy something - I just love fabric.
I have also bought many quilting books, always hoping that one of them would resolve my stash problem, and I have actually made several quilts - but since I don't make big items, somehow my stash seemed to get bigger and bigger.
This book seemed a godsend - as another reviewer has written, the author has cast aside all rules and regulations and insists that the most important thing is to enjoy what you are doing. At last I found the inspiration to make quite simple smaller quilts, baby quilts, table runners, which actually look quite complicated because of the use of colour - and playing with colour is the thing I like best.
My nightmare was always the final quilting so the author's idea of making no fuss about finishing the items with simple hand quilting in straight lines really stimulated me into working hard - and at last my stash is slowly getting under control once again. And I have made many people happy with a gift of my work.

A book which makes me happy every time I look through it. Highly recommendable
7 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2011
I have admired Jane Brocket's online blog which has featured her quilts that she has made and uses around her home. They featured in the Gentle Art of Domesticity to, which is sadly out of print.
This book feature new quilts and how to acheive them at home with the minimum of fuss, I have sewn all my life but quilting always seems a little 'twee or old fashioned' for me previously. Janes quilts changed my opinions totally!
Her designs are mainly concerning the colour and design of the beautiful fabrics she uses. These include Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs designs. Thet feature bold and glorious colour, with flowers predominating striking quilts.
I was inspired to making 2 quilts 'in the style' of those in the book. The book gives simple instructions on fabric, cutting and sewing your quilt together, backing and binding it. Nothing is scary, or too technical. I hand quilted my quilts whilst watching films which is what Jane does.... I recommend it! I have been converted and look forward to making more inspirational quilts. this book is a starting place for your own designs, giving photographic ideas for your own heirlooms. Worth trying.
on 20 April 2012
This is very different from most quilt books I have looked at, as it doesn't get bogged down in complicated piecing; Jane uses simple shapes and makes her quilts really beautiful by the fabrics she chooses. It's nicely written with lots of hints and tips but its main attraction for me is that it really made me want to get started straight away. Jane is something of a purist - she insists on using pure cotten wadding and thread which I think makes her quilts seem somehow more precious, and valuable. A really lovely book.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2015
I would say buy this book, you will not be disappointed. I had a very experienced Australian quilting teacher and grew to love quilting. As my husbands job took us over the world I am sorry to say, the last time we moved, my quilting took a back seat for some years now This year, however, I intend to get back to it and with Jane's book that I love so much. I am so excited to make for family and friends again. Had this book for a couple of years now but when I dip into it and see the beautiful quilts and with Jane's advice, I feel I have a lovely friend with me and can't help but get inspired. Jane is so generous sharing her expertise and feel she has not left anything to wonder about that would hold anyone back. I needed this book to start me off again. Thank you Jane !
on 7 December 2012
This book has no words on the cover - remove the paper band and all you see is a beautiful quilt. The texture of the cover is enticing enough but inside you find the most brilliant selection of quilts, with descriptions of what inspired them. There are both simple and more complicated designs here, but the emphasis is on the choice of fabrics for a theme - and the photos of the completed projects are stunning. This is a book with detailed instructions on how to make similar quilts, what to think about when selecting fabrics for your quilts, the values (depths) of the colours chosen and lots of other useful inspiration. This is also a book you can pick up and browse through for the pure enjoyment of the photos again and again.
on 11 June 2012
This book arrived today and I love everything about it. The cover is really touchy feely and the general essence of the book is all about enjoying the experience of making a quilt. I am a relatively new quilter and have felt bogged down by patterns, sometimes intricate piecing and have got totally stuck on matching fabrics. This is a liberating approach - and as quoted on the back cover - making quilts with the minimum of fuss. I can't wait to read it from cover to cover, it has the feel of a good friend, telling you all about how she makes amazing quilts and her inspiration. Thank you Jane Brocket
on 30 September 2013
After following Jane Brocket's blog for over a year after first purchasing the American edition of The Gentle Art of Domesticity, I was ready to plunge into another book. Ms. Brocket is talented as a writer, a quilt designer, photographer, and travel documenter. I respond to her sense of color, color combinations in her sewing, and in her unique mix of fabric print styles as her modern quilts come together before the eyes. As a quilter and designer of small size baby quilts, I am inspired and energized by her vision.
on 23 March 2016
Lovely book, simple designs whith inspiring colour combinations. Quick delivery,well packed for postage.
on 1 April 2013
Beautiful book, that is well laid out, but not a massive amount of instruction or advice if you are a beginner to patchwork, it has fabulous pictures of gorgeous end products in a picturesque setting, but would perhaps be better if there had been photo's or diagrams of stages that you need to go through to get to the end?