on 2 October 2015
I bought the first book, and there were lots of lovely things in it, some of which I have knitted, or am knitting. As I was looking for a baby blanket, the cover of this second book attracted me, and I sent for it. However, although the book is fine, good quality paper and printing, and lovely pictures, the content is not as interesting or original as the first book. I think the author has run short of ideas, and this book will not get as much use from me as the first one. If you have the first book, take a careful look inside before you buy this one.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2011
I bought both this and the first Blankets and Throws book and wasn't disappointed, there is some repetition but the level of presentation and inventiveness is as good as Abrahams' first book.

There are 12 blankets and throws in the book, each created from squares using a number of techniques including intarsia, beading, cable and stitch patterns that can be mixed and matched if using the same yarn. As Abrahams is a Rowan designer the instructions for each blanket are using Rowan wools but tension is given for each making it easy to transfer to cheaper wool by creating a tension square and adjusting needle size.

At first the book can seem a bit confusing because the 'help' section is at the end but instructions for intarsia to change colour, needle and yarn conversions and abbreviations are all there
on 14 May 2017
Lovely book
on 21 March 2010
I bought this to compliment the first Blankets and Throws book that I bought a while ago. I'm making a giant knitted patchwork quilt to cover my kingsize bed. I'm just mixing and matching squares from all the quilt patterns in the book, as well as designing a few of my own squares to make it more personal. A quilt that size takes a lot of squares and I got bored of doing the same ones over and over, which is why I bought this second book. Some of the patterns are not that different from the ones in the first book (different colour schemes etc) but there are enough new ones that I'm happy with my purchase. I'm not using the wool types recommended in the book as that would make my knitting project cost hundreds of pounds! (I bought a job lot of pastel coloured double knitting large skeins off the internet - I didn't get to chose the individual colours, and the yarn isn't very soft or luxurious feeling, but cost a fraction of the price of buying wool by the ball, and I'm happy with the colours and quality. I think when I finish (which is going to take me ages, 'cause I'm not that fast) I'll buy a big fleece blanket, and use that as backing so it feels soft underneath and looks fabulous on top. (I can't wait - I've got about fifty squares knitted already and they look awesome (even though I say so myself!) The instructions are easy to follow, and each square has a colour photo as well as its own pattern and none of the stitches are that hard to do. When it's finished I'll take a photo and add it to my Amazon page so you can take a look :-)

I finished my quilt!! The picture is now there at the top of the page :-)
review image
99 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2009
This is the second blankets and throws book I have purchased and it certainly lives up to expectation. Very easy to follow instructions and well organised. If the instructions are followed fully then the finished article is of a very high standard and gives immense satisfaction to the knitter. In fact, my daughter (who grew up with hand-made items and vowed she wouldn't have anything 'knitted' in her own home), fell in love with the second quilt I produced and has now requested another. I'll have to teach her to knit one of these days!!
on 30 September 2010
This book if full of new ideas and inspiration. The beads are listed in the order you thread onto your wool to knit a particular square making it quicker and easier to get started.
Found the square adding one row of colour very useful as it saves breaking off and joining wool on endless rows. All in all a good book and a must have if you already own the first book "Blankets and Throws to knit".
on 23 January 2006
This book is very pleasant and easy to read, and a spiral binding always makes a knitting book much easier to handle. The patterns are interesting and cover a range of skills and styles. HOWEVER this is not for the economical knitter! Debbie uses Rowan yarn throughout which is one of my favourites and top quality - but this is reflected in the price and even the most plain and simple 'big and cosy' pattern would cost over £250 to make. Other ones I costed up were anywhere from nearly £200 to more like £300. So, if you think you could substitute cheaper yarns or are able to lay out large amounts of money, this is the book for you.
11 Comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2012
The photographs in this book are beautiful and I did knit 2 of them (the chick and the 3 fishes) but the instructions are in the form of charts and are hard to follow if you are not an expert knitter. The lines in the graphs are very faint and the photos are too small. I photocopied them and enlarged them by 50%. The designs are gorgeous and after the second one I started to get the hang of it, I found they were too small for me, so i just added another 5 stitches along each side and 5 rows top and bottom. It took me about 5 false starts before I got into it but I was very impressed with the result as it's been over 20 years since I did any knitting. If you can keep your tension even then it will look good, but I would say, knit in daylight or invest in a 'daylight' light bulb as it's hard on the eyes - but all in all a book full of the most beautiful designs and top marks for the photography - gorgeous.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2006
If you want to really create something a bit special then this will be for you. Yes the wools she suggests are very expensive but do what she suggests and just buy a couple of balls now and again and do a few squares. You could also substitute for cheaper yarns as she also states the weight and length etc for each throw. This books is just lovely to pick up and look through - I have mainly knitted cardigans and jumpers for the family so far so it was nice just to be able to knit squares for a change - great for brushing up on your techniques and experimenting with the different colours. This is also something that you could hand down in years to come as it is something that would be very personal so much better than something youve bought! Enjoy.
on 22 February 2006
My first view of this book was a little disappointing compared with it's predecessor. The overly arty photo's make it difficult to imagine what the finished items will actually look like. However having had the benefit of attending one of Debbie's workshops and seen the items "in person", the cost and time is definitely worth it. As ever, Debbie's instructions are clear and easy to follow; and the blocks in this book can be combined with those from her earlier publication, giving almost limitless opportunities. If you want a portable, quality project - this is a must.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse