on 3 April 2013
I am preparing to retire and decided to dust off my knitting needles so I was browsing for some easy projects that would be quick to complete. I was surprised how many books were available via Amazon so the reviews with each book were and immense help and very accurate too. I love this book, the patterns are well within my capability and the yummie mummies in my family are placing their orders!
on 1 May 2017
Gorgeous gifts for babies - the patterns are lovely and are clearly written.
on 19 May 2012
This is a beautifully produced book that's gorgeous to look at. However, the author's idea of simple and mine differ greatly. If you are a fairly new knitter, as I am, the patterns are very difficult to puzzle out, and some of the technique descriptions would benefit from more in depth explanations. So far I have only attempted one of the patterns and it was only with the help of a second 'how to' book (Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner by Aneeta Patel) and the occasional foray onto youtube that I was able to complete it.

The patterns are gorgeously photographed and I think with a bit (or quite a bit) more experience then these clothes will be lovely to make, but I feel overall that it is a case of style over substance and that if there had been more detailed patterns with more pictures of the pattern process broken down into stages then this book would have been truer to its title.

If you are a beginner do not buy this unless you have additional sources of information available to help you through.
on 29 March 2010
This book does what it says on the cover. The patterns are simple and clear, and there's a reasonable variety. As other reviewers have mentioned, they start at newborn size which is generally a good thing - be warned, the newborn size is pretty small, and may not fit all babies, especially the little silk cardigan at the end of the book. There don't seem to be too many errors, but there is online support for the handful that I found.

Unfortunately the Jaeger yarns she uses are no longer widely available, so a little bit of work and swatching is required to find suitable substitutes. But on the whole, this is a good book suitable for anyone from advanced beginner upward, and certainly worth adding to your library if baby knits are your thing.
on 15 March 2011
I was drawn to this book by the pretty shoes on the cover, they were something I wanted to make, but upon opening it up and looking through the items on offer to knit, I soon became most disappointed. The pictures and colours are dull and uninteresting, they didn't inspire me to want to make anything; the whole book was pages of a few duplicated items which all looked like something from the 1950's. I have made the shoes and changed one of the patterns to fit my own design. Other than this, I don't think I will be trying anything else from the items on offer.
If I had able to view this book in a store, I would not have purchased it.
on 11 October 2010
I'm a complete novice but already I have managed to knit the silk booties and the lavender bag. I will admit I did use some of the tutorials on youtube to demonstrate some of the harder stitches but the explanations given in the book are very good.
on 15 May 2009
The trend these days is to group patterns into themed books rather than to produce individual leaflets for knitted garments. So it is good to have a book like 'Simple Knits for Cherished Babies' which tempts you to knit several items. So much more cost effective. This book also is an earlier edition of the same patterns produced in a more recent book. None the worse for that as you get the same patterns much cheaper! So I reckon I got a bargain - a lovely book to handle and I've already knitted some delightful garments. The instructions are well set out for the beginner - just occasionally over explained making a technique a little more complicated than it need be. The styles are traditional and timeless. The vest is lovely and the teddy came out exceptionally well. It's not easy to get the Jaeger wool suggested as it is now discontinued but there are plenty of current equivalents. Definitely a good buy.
review image review image
on 2 March 2012
Compared with other baby knit books I have bought I decided this one was far to expensive for the amount of patterns in it and have therefore removed it from my wish list!!
on 19 August 2009
Great little book if you are looking for simple designs which are shown off by using quality yarns. I made the leggings as a gift and am very pleased with the result.
on 29 May 2010
Rowan knit books are in my opinion the best one can find. they make you want to sit down immediately and knit a pattern not only because of the pattern itself but because of the way they're presented, in loving , gently colored settings, beautifully photographed. the designs are simply beautiful and the directions easy to follow.