Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 December 2004
This book is excellent. Running in layman's terms. My boyfriend runs and always asks me along, but as I could run for about 2 minues before having a coronary, I could never go. This started to annoy me, so I bought this book to find out how I could improve. Now don't get me wrong, buying a book is not the answer - heaven knows I have bought a million weightloss/fitness books without permanently either losing weight or getting fit (just lightening my wallet). But there is something about this book. Its very easy to read and understand. It starts you out slow, and answers all the questions/fears you might have (what if I don't like running in public? etc). Plus there are tonnes of 'before and after' stories from people who have taken up running and changed their life for the better - very inspirational. There is room to record your progress, and each page is in full colour. Well, I guess the proof is in the pudding. Before - fad diets/ exercise binging and purging - weight gain since University - 3 stone. After - can now run for 25 minutes flat, lost 10lb (ang gained muscle) and still going strong. In january I'll be going running with my boyfriend!!!
on 15 May 2005
A great start to running and losing weight. This book is a fresh start to a new you. I had been lazy for years occasionally visiting the gym and gradually gaining weight because I didn't exercise enough. I bought this book and was motivated to start running. I haven't stopped since.
I bought the book in November '04 and felt so great I entered the marathon in January '05 running for the charity Sense in a fairly respectable time of 4hrs 32mis ([...] This book is a great start to running, it contains lots of motivational ingrdients; charts to track your weight loss, walking and running programmes to gradually build up your fitness, and 100 reasons to run. You can read it from start to finish very quickly and then start the programme best suited to you.
I still have my well read copy and have bought 5 more for friends and family, including my sister who suffers from ashtma we are going to run the great north run together this year. This really is a great book and a good start to running. I love running now and have had so much fun training, it is much more socialble than I imagined.
Running really lifts your mood and sorts out stress, it has been proven to help depression too. I sleep so much better, approach work with renewed enthusiasm and think life is like summer all year round. I now run happily each weekend from one side of London to the other, through 4 parks, and I don't dread Mondays anymore. If you can't jog at all the book has a programme to build up your ability from one minute to 20 in no time. Running is one of the quickest ways to lose weight fast, you will notice a difference in 2 weeks or less. Buy the book.
on 18 September 2006
I have never been able to run, and have always hated the fact. Being large of figure, the idea of pounding the pavements has been daunting. Nevertheless, I saw this book, for some reason bought it, and with much excitement and trepidation, tried the 10 week running plan they reccommend for all beginners. As of yesterday, I completed this plan, and can run (and walk) for 40 minutes or 5km, something I never saw myself doing in July. I can honestly say, this book has opened a sport to me, and I am mad, keen, and enthusiastic because of it! It breaks everything down into achievable steps, and by doing this, it's suceeded in converting me. Can't praise it enough!
55 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2004
I liked the idea of running but didn't really know where to start. This book was great, it advised me on everything from what to eat, where to run and what shoes to buy. Which gave me the confidence to just give it a go.
Far more valuable was the feeling that i could achieve anything. It inspired and motivated me to start, and now I am hooked. I have just started training for my first half marathon, im taking it very slowly but it is getting easier. If I don't feel like running one day, I flick through the book, or use one of the motivational methods its suggest.
Truly inspiring. I can't praise this book enough
on 2 October 2006
I bought this book last year. I was a 42 year old bloke, and didn't realise it was geared specifically for women when I bought it, but having forked out the money I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I'd had a knee operation in November 2004, and had a few setbacks while recovering, but finally in August 2005 I was able to start with the run a minute, walk a minute plan. In my case it was more like shuffle a minute, walk a minute, but I gradually built up my times, and as I did so my running improved too. I took things a bit slower than the book recommended because I was worried about my knee.

Anyway to cut a long story short, in May 2006 I entered a sprint triathalon, and from then on I have been competing (I use the word loosely) in sprint triathlons, sprint duathlons and 5K races, and I am building my way up to my first 10K race in a few weeks time. I found the book helpful and motivational all the way through this.

So I would have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone, male or female who wants to start running. No-one could have been much slower than me to start with, and though I'm not exactly fast now, I'm a lot faster.

This book really helps build you up from nothing, to your first 5K fun run. If you want, you can stop there; if not the book also takes you on to further distances (but I don't have any experience of those yet!)
on 15 June 2006
It's a truly inspirational book, and as you read through, it leaves you raring to go.

The book is full of inspirational stories from people from all walks of life - my favourite being the lady who started running in her 70s! It also has lots of useful tips on running techniques (from the like of Paula Radcliffe), other ways to increase fitness, running gear, and the best way to fuel yourself.

Of course, it also contains all the practical information that guides you through assessing your fitness and targets, and training plans to guide you through 5K, 10K, and marathons runs - even if you are totally unfit to start ;0)

I'll be running my first 5K race next month, and this book has been a great help, both practically and motivationally.
on 5 October 2006
What clever ladies these authors are and what a FAB book to read/flick through/re-read and look at the pretty pictures/quotes/PB table of my finest moments- all achieved since reading this book no less!

As everyone who has already got this in my (new!) running club says, this book is a: FANTASTIC, FABULOUS, MOTIVATING, EASY, COMPELLING,COLOURFUL and ENJOYABLE book/training guide/motivational tool! It's simply wonderful!!! I have been motivated beyond belief by this book!

I am actually an exercise professional, so as you can imagine, I have exercise-related books filling my shelves, including a number of running books, but none as friendly and accurate, professional and worthwhile as this.

Training often and loving fitness, I consider myself quite fit. Yet running is my weakness, which needed challenging. Motivation was easy- the book saw to that- the quotes from ordinary people who run are so great- it seems that everyone finds it tough and they agree that yes, the first 10 minutes are always the worst!!!

This book/life saver is PACKED with relevant quotations, serious life stories, tip after tip and a training programme for all the main distances which, if you try week one of the 5k plan, will have you believing you can run as essentially everyone can do it!!! It's scientifically highly accurate and psychologically spot-on (look at the easy lay-out and multiple fill-ins you can do!).

Take it from a professional, you will buy this book, use it, write all over it, buy another one, give it to a friend, pick it up again and re-read it, buy another one for your other friend and so the run of life continues!

Oh, and there's lots of pink bits and it's a serious bargain!!!
on 25 May 2004
I found this book to be just what the doctor ordered. After attempting to tackle the treadmill on my own and not enjoying it, I sat down with this book and read it from cover to cover in one session (honest!) The fresh approach is inspiring and setting my goals in the book keeps me going back to it after every run I do.
As a beginner, I never thought I'd love running so much, but this book has made me find a new passion.
A great buy!
on 20 January 2007
I used to be the type of person who thought that running was great, in theory, but impossible in practise. The reason for this was that every time I decided to take up running I jumped (unwittingly) straight in to the deep-end. I would try in vain to tag along with my mum on one of her weekly 10ks. Each time I did this, I had to abandon the run and walk home alone. Each time I did this, I questioned whether I would ever be able to distance run at all.

Then I discovered Running Made Easy. It's the only book I have ever come across that truly takes you from couch potato to long distance runner. Since I first picked it up, I've done two 5ks and I'm currently training for the BUPA Capital 10k this summer... then I want to do the Nike Run London 10k... and eventually the London Marathon (but I'm not old enough for that yet!). I think it's safe to say I'm an addict.

Anyway, back to the point. I like this book because it's written like a magazine i.e. no tedious, long explanations, just to-the-point instructions (put in a fun and very readable way of course). It's packed with motivation. In fact, I challenge you to read it and not want to go running!
on 3 March 2006
A fabulous book. I have gone from a couch potato to a total running enthusiast and a total life change in just 8weeks. I have my first race this weekend.
Reading all the success stories and advice will motivate even the laziest couch potato (being me). It is incredibly easy to follow and makes running great fun, even on the days when sitting on the sofa is hard work.
It honestly does exactly what it says on the cover and I cant rate it high enough.
I would reccommend this book to anyone and everyone.