on 14 October 2008
This book is a great easy to understand introduction to triathlon, an event I have been interested in, but until recently felt rather intimated by the idea of actually doing one. I found the women's magazing format a bit corny but the information is clear and very readable. The writers cover the basics well and provide decent advice for beginners. The style was enthusiastic and I felt motivated enough reading it to get out and start training for an event.
on 26 May 2011
Triathlon Made Easy is the perfect guide to getting started for any complete newbies to Triathlons. The format is fun and easy to digest with sections on each of the three disciplines, plus guides to healthly eating, weight loss, a very easy to follow tri in ten training plan, the benifits of participating in triathlons and 2 sections on motivation and inspirational stories.

Being a complete beginner to triathlons I was concerned about what to expect but this book provides very comprehensive information on each stage of the triathlon, including what kit is essential and what you can afford to save money on. The training tips have been particularly helpful in improving my swimming technique and the plentiful information in each of the stage sections have taught me what I need to adjust about my usual training style to get the best out of myself at my first triathlon.

I've been especially impressed with the tri-in-ten plan. I started a couple of weeks early to give myself a headstart but I haven't found myself getting bored as the sessions are set out to provide variety, plus looking back I am shocked at quite how quickly I have improved and how much more distance I am covering each week.

Highly recommended to any complete triathlon beginners.
on 14 August 2009
I bought this book as an introduction to Triathlon training after being well and truly overwhelmed by Joe Friel's 'The Triathlete's Training Bible'. Whilst that's a good book for the already-athletic, this book is perfect for anyone new to sport and triathlons. It contains a wealth of information entirely tailored towards those new to triathlon with comprehensive sections on running, swimming and cycling. There are several 10 week training plans to follow to suit a range of abilities from novice to the more experienced. It also includes a section to enable you to record your progress.

After reading the book I felt that a Sprint Triathlon was within my reach and have found the training pleasurable and easy to stick with. This book is so inspiring and motivating,I found it hard to put down and can't recommend it highly enough!

Updated to add: I entered and completed three sprint distance triathlons on 2010 following the advice and training plans set out in the book. The info and advice is sound, the training plans enabled me to complete the triathlons in respectable times with no horrible surprises! If you are a complete newbie this book will be perfect for you!
on 8 February 2008
Written in women's magazine format. Easy to read, lots of pictures and very little jargon. If it's a huge technical tome you want with lots of facts and figures, then don't bother. If you have never competed in a triathlon before and you want to know what it's all about, then this is the book for you. Great for beginners and very encouraging.
on 15 February 2010
Had wanted to do a sprint triathlon for charity for ages but had no idea how to get started. This book is very easy to read and follow, and inspired me to get up of my rear and get started!
on 28 February 2011
AS a newbee to triathlon i'm looking for all the help and tips i can find, and would say this book is a really good place to start. Very clearly set out and organised to help you prepare yourself for your first triathlon. It's great to read cover to cover but i've found it just as useful to dip into to refresh training tips and aid my training as my triathlon day gets closer. I would recommend to anyone new to triathlon, looking for a some help with all aspects of becoming a triathlete.
on 3 May 2010
This is perfect for women who are starting out in the scary world of triathlons! If you enjoy reading Zest magazine the writing style is very similar and the training plans and advice are easy to follow. I completed the Sprint triathlon 12 week training plan and it was brilliant. There's no reason this book can't take you from the couch to your first triathlon on it's own.
on 6 September 2010
I stumbled on this book at the library whilst I was contemplating doing a triathlon, and found it a fabulous motivator and de-mystifier. I followed the 10 week super sprint plan and it gave me lots of confidence that I could do it...and I did. Would highly recommend it to any woman thinking about triathlon, but be warned, once you've done one you will want to do more
on 26 April 2010
I agree with the other reviewers that it's easy to read and free from jargon and certainly a lot less scary than some of the more technical tomes that seem to be directed at people whose ultimate aim is to win win win. However, it's a bit irritatingly girly, with its stick thin Barbie girl illustrations, and there are several errors. For example, although the text quite correctly states that you should not "windmill your arms" when swimming front crawl, the illustration clearly shows Barbie girl in mid windmill action. Also it says that you should land on the ball of your foot rather than your heel when running. I was surprised by this advice and checked it out at my local running shop; they were shocked and told me that it is rubbish - a heel-toe motion is correct. Maybe running on your toes is more ladylike for Barbie girls? The suggested training routines at the back are useful as are the little tables to fill in your own training diary - but the pages are so glossy that it's hard to find a pen that writes on them without smudging.
on 2 September 2010
Great book for the first-timer. Easy to read cover to cover, or pick up and refresh on certain subjects. Found the lay out easy to follow with some helpful pointers.