Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2008
Got to say this book, at first glance, is excellent, inspirational, quirky, a great idea. With James Dean as my main template I'm also using a number of the clothing patterns to create Eddie Cochran as a gift for my husband's birthday - leather trousers, check shirt and gold lame for the waistcoat, not to mention adapting George Harrison's guitar to turn it into a Gretsch 6120! However, personally I would have never ok'd this book in its current format and this is why I have given a three star rating. As the clothing patterns need to be photocopied in an enlarged form, I would like the pages to be removable as I have had one hellava job trying to copy them, the spine of the book gets in the way etc. Publishers take note! Overall a great little book, and as one person (at least) has said, beats knitting booties!
on 27 October 2007
My Grandma taught me to knit but nothing like this. I first saw the book on the Graham Norton show and it looked brilliant. I've not followed patterns before but I think I'll be flicking through the book chuckling before I get to that point. If there is anything funnier than the knitted Ghandi in any other book this year I will be amazed. You won't need wool or needles to get hours of fun from this book.
on 16 April 2015
This book arrived on time and in good condition but I was disappointed with the patterns in the book. The faces were really poor and the dolls looked nothing like the person they were supposed to be. Altogether, disappointing 1

The pattern book arrived on time and in good condition. The images shown however, were nothing like the 'Icons' they were meant to be. The whole thing was very disappointing and I won't use it.
on 25 January 2013
This book is called KNITTED Icons - not knitted icons with sewn outfits! Even in the book description it talks about knitting and how the book is for knitters. When I received it I have discovered that most of the outfits are actually sewn not knitted which means I now have to go out and get material as well!

Unless you like sewing as well as knitting or can make up a pattern yourself I wouldn't bother. I'm disappointed that this fact wasn't made clearer in the description or title of the book.
on 19 September 2011
My BF and I found this book in the haberdashery section of John Lewis recently
I laughed so hard I cried, especially over the pattern for "Knit your own Ghandi"
I didnt know it had been on Graham Norton - I'll check it out on You Tube.

Dont think I'll be getting the needles out for this one - but God I havent seen anything so funny in ages.
Priceless.
VINE VOICEon 15 October 2007
This is laugh til you can't stop sort of book. Even if you can't knit (and the book reckons its pretty easy to create an icon) its worth getting just to chuckle over. My favourites include different outfits for Cher and Bob Dylan. Oh and Mr.T!
on 4 December 2012
I made the Bob Dylan doll as a present for a friend. I thought the instructions were clear but I also found out that I lack the necessary eye for detail... Great for people who are good at working on tiny details.
on 21 January 2008
hurrah- a book that actually works! Little Brucie Lee is all knitted up, looks like the picture, the pattern worked, the clothes worked, my husband likes him. I was actually able to show him off to people without shame. The author is a Rowan consultant and so states Rowan wools to use, which of course can be subsitituted (esp in the case of hair where only a bit of wool is needed), but the originals should be considered over cheapy wools for the dolls themselves as it gives a better quality finish. Only problem is I can't decide who to do next, or which lucky person to give them to.
review image
on 13 June 2013
Wish I hadn't bought it, tacky beyond belief! I didn't realise clothing is sewn :( I have gave the book away, very disappointed.
on 17 April 2010
I am currently knitting Audrey Hepburn... Very easy to follow. Hilarious icons. V clever! Can't wait to knit more.