Customer reviews

on 8 October 2012
I'm new to upholstering and bought this book to guide me through my first project, a winged arm chair.
I found this book very helpful. The photographs fill the gaps in the text very well. The projects in the book are all very relevant in that they are for items most people have or want, rather that all the arty stuff you often get in books. My only critism is that being my first project, I would have liked just a bit more detail at times. I got there in the end, but some stages took a bit more working out than others!
on 23 June 2012
This is a very comprehensive manual for both amature and more experienced upholsterers alike.It gives a comprehensive list of tools and also shows in detail basic skills. It then goes on to demonstrate a number of projects.
On some of the projects it can be a little short on explanation for the less experienced worker, but usually refers you back to the basic skill section if you are in doubt.
All in all it is a very useful book, a must for the occasional upholsterer who needs to brush up their skills and remind themselves of any points they may have forgotten.
on 29 December 2012
This is a good practical guide to an upholstery jod we are doing ourselves. Having had it on maximum loan from the library, we needed it for reference.
on 2 April 2017
As an out and out beginner, this book contains all the information that I need to know about re-upholstering a high wing back chair.
on 17 April 2017
Took up upholstery through classes a couple of years ago and have quite a number of technical books. This book is really excellent for a first timer who wants to have a go. It is exactly as the authors intended - a book that they would like to have had when they tackled their first projects. Very, very good instruction with step by step photographs. All round, a great introduction to upholstery.
on 17 July 2009
I bought this with a particular project in mind, restoring a victorian chair identical to the one shown in this book. It probably wasn't the easiest project to start with, but this book shows you step by step what to buy, how to do it and what the finished result should look like.

One or two of the steps could be described a bit more clearly, but this is clearly laid out with good photos - I am delighted with the chair I've done and am about to embark on another. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to make a start on upholstery.
on 22 May 2008
This I think is a book for beginners. It is generously sized and includes actual photographs of each of the projects being demonstrated. It doesn't contain a great deal of text, working mainly with lists of what you need then showing you exactly what to do. There is a good range of projects covering just about any seating upholstery project you might want to tackle. I particularly like the photo's showing where various tools are used (as a beginner, some of the pins and needles look rather oddly shaped to me so its good to see what they are actually meant for!). Well worth buying.
on 9 September 2013
Currently working on a wing chair and using the step by step guide which I'm finding useful. Tackles some projects other books don't which I find a great addition for my library.
on 30 June 2012
My Upholstry teachers says good book with excellent pictures! She says takes you to a high level of skill. If you only want 1 book this is it!
on 13 June 2011
An absolutely brilliant, easy to read and understand book on upholstery. Most impressed with the clear illustrations and instructions. Well worth the money.