Customer reviews

on 25 October 2008
I will confess, I read through this book initially quite quickly, rolling my eyes at the examples they gave thinking how clichéd and obvious they seemed, and after the first few chapters was preparing to return it and demand my money back. I can't express how pleased I am that I didn't. The chapters got progressively more interesting and intriguing, so I decided to stick with it and do all the exercises properly in order as they were proposed. It turns out those first few chapters were not so painfully predictable as I had feared after all; I learnt more about my issues with relationships from them than years of careful thought and work! I even believed I had done some of the exercises that were proposed, but because the authors highlight why you are doing the exercises clearly, and exactly what you are trying to uncover, I learnt far far more. In terms of understanding past mistakes in relationships, understanding what qualities someone needs in a relationship (by helping you see what is trapping you, and what you really value), and how to go about finding it, I can't see how this book could be beaten. It deals with all these aspects logically, warmly and cleverly, not by telling you what you need, but by helping you discover it for yourself. Since personal relationships are my own specific Achilles heal, this book has been attitude and life-changing for me. Before it I was desperate for the next `right' relationship and now, despite my loneliness, I'm driven to sort myself out properly so that when I do meet that special someone for me (and I will, and now I will know when they are the right person) I know I will be properly ready for a loving, warm, lasting relationship, which is what I really want. If you are worried about thwarting yourself by getting together with yet another person who is bad for you, or have been seriously mistreated by a past partner, and are scared to move on in case you just fall into the same trap, work through the exercises thoroughly and you'll be able to uncover what you need, and the confidence to start claiming it. I only hope this book is as helpful to everyone who needs it as it has been for me. As I said, wonderful!
on 13 April 2006
I recommend this book to everyone, no matter at what stage you are in getting a relationship. This book will help you even if you are already in a relationship - it will help you make it better. Really well written and well structured. Once you start reading, you won't be able to stop - I read it all in just a few sittings.

But it is more than just a book you read and forget. What makes it really useful is that it is a practical book, and the exercises are great for helping you work out what is really important for you in a relationship and what would ultimately make you happy.

I have worked through the book and it is fantastic. You will learn that the key is to take responsibility and to get a great relationship with yourself first. Clear out all the clutter from your life and re-discover yourself. Then you can get clear about what you really, really want in your partner - and after that go out and have a lot of fun dating!

Get this book and you are in for an amazing journey of self-discovery and finding the true love you deserve!
on 22 March 2006
The authors begin ‘We all want to love and be loved; and yet finding love and keeping it alive can seem to be the greatest challenge we face.’ In this brilliant book Life Coaches Ariana Gee and Mary Gregory guide you to get your love life sorted once and for all, in an enjoyable and stimulating way. You will learn how to deal with obstacles from your past, understand yourself better, know what you want in a relationship, the secrets of successful dating and sustaining love in a committed relationship. ‘Be your Own Love Coach’ is written with compassion, sensitivity, sincerity and wisdom by authors with a wealth of experience. The book is packed with great tips and practical suggestions, it will show you how to bring love into your life, cherish it, and keep it there forever.